Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thick newbie

Ok,
    I now have my first surf, picked up today, going back tomorrow (speedo face hasn't been changed and the front washers don't work.) Already I have a couple of pretty thick wuetions. I am taking it in tomorrow to have the Air con system checked and converted but noticed today the cab seems to get hot even when there are no blowers on, is this normal? Also what is the o/d button on the side of the gear stick, pressed it by mistake, got message on dash so turned it off again, just wondering what it does, also red button on casing of gearstick. I have got an owners manual coming from Roughtrax which should answer these but thought I'd ask the questions here.
    By the way...In love with the surf already, how did I survive without one! :
    And god said...........let there be surfs!

Welcome to the asylum

The O/D button - is overdrive (like a 5th gear on a manual to save fuel), when you pushed the button you switched it off hence the warning light on the dash. In normal driving leave it on.. its helps save fuel, but if in difficult conditions, very steep hills or towing its best left switched off.. saves the gearbox hunting up and down.
    The red button - allows you to move the gearbox through the gears with the engine off

hope that helps

Back in the day Baby

Comment

Originally posted by Vultch
      Welcome to the asylum

The O/D button - is overdrive (like a 5th gear on a manual to save fuel), when you pushed the button you switched it off hence the warning light on the dash. In normal driving leave it on.. its helps save fuel, but if in difficult conditions, very steep hills or towing its best left switched off.. saves the gearbox hunting up and down.
      The red button - allows you to move the gearbox through the gears with the engine off

hope that helps
      Thanks for that, any thoughts on the heat inside, it did seem a little warm, or maybe I have developed a pre-surf phobia of overheating

Comment

MIne always does and always has got hot in the cab, I think it's pretty normal, the overdrive as I understand it, sort of gives you "in between" gears and as the light only comes on to tell you when it's OFF I figure it's best to keep it on at all times. Oh and the litttle red button, well have you seen Men In Black? .............................. .............................. .............................. .............................. .............................. .............................. .............................. ..................

Its nothing like the little red button in the film, it's to enable you to take the gearbox out of park without the engine on, perhaps to be pulled onto a flatbed. I know they aren't very technical answers I know but I'm sure someone will give you some much more precise anwers soon! Stick around theres a great bunch of people here.
        Nihil illigitimi carborundum

Comment

Damn, 2 people managed to reply in the time it took me just to type that one!!!

Comment

Thanks, I thinnk the air con has got be converted something about r12 gas being illegal so needs to be converted to new gas for £70 plus vat.
            I had a thought the surf gotthrough an MOT but front washers don't work, I thought they had to to get through the MOT, or did I dream that?

Comment

Front washers HAVE to work AND spray ONTO the screen to pass an MOT. For your aircon you'll need a retro kit fitting before you can swap R12 for R134a. I would expect it to cost a lot more than £70+ the T*AT, I mean VAT, but if that's what they're telling you, and make sure they give the aircon system a complete service, or at least I would if it was me!

Comment

The air con I'm doing through a company called Motor Climate, rang them up stated the problem they said they would check the system with R12, then remove the gas and refurb for 75 plus vat. Mind you they had never heard of a Toyota Surf!!!!! Oh the joy

Comment

drivers side under bonnet (stuck to under side of bonnet) look for a black tube

that is the washer water tube

just under the water jets is a one way valve that is prob blocked
                  (looks like a black connector)

take it off
                  clean it out
                  put it back

washers work
                  [url="http://www.frappr.com/smurfowners"]Surf MAp[/url]

Comment

Got into mine yesterday, been driving it now for 2 years and I was convinced the heating was on, just a slight hint of sunshine I checked an double checked the heater and finished up putting the a/c on, perfectly normal stop worrying.
                    Laugh!!! I nearly bought my own beer.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by clutch
                      Ok, noticed today the cab seems to get hot even when there are no blowers on, is this normal? cheesy: :

At the back of the centre consol, most surfs have a seperate heater for the rear passengers. Check that the heater is set to cold, or at least the blowers are off.
                      Also, the centre consol itself can get quite warm when driving, lift up the lid and have a feel inside! Just don't keep your Mars bar in there!

Comment

My Surf gets very hot inside also with all the vents and air con turned off. But as soon as the wife stops talking and gets out of the car, it goes back to normal...don't figure?
                        She'll kill me for that now!!
                        Is it supposed to sound like this??

Comment

Right, just got back from air con place apparantly it has a broken discharge pipe, comp condenser and the condeser is leaking, they have put the cost of repair and converstion at 428 in c vat, does this sound about right. They were very helpful, there mechanic had a look over the engine and said everything was sound and it had been fitted with a new radiator. One thing that was wrong is that it had a vac pipe that was broken, smal unit on top of engine, I have been back to the dealer and he has replaced but now the turbo doesn't seem to kick in as much, are the two related?

Comment

Originally posted by clutch
                            Right, just got back from air con place apparantly it has a broken discharge pipe, comp condenser and the condeser is leaking, they have put the cost of repair and converstion at 428 in c vat, does this sound about right. They were very helpful, there mechanic had a look over the engine and said everything was sound and it had been fitted with a new radiator. One thing that was wrong is that it had a vac pipe that was broken, smal unit on top of engine, I have been back to the dealer and he has replaced but now the turbo doesn't seem to kick in as much, are the two related?

£430 just to get the air-con working!
                            I would go somewhere else.

I have a condenser rad for sale if you need one.

Can you show us a photo of the part the dealer replaced?

Comment

Unfortunatly my digi camara has broken. Basicallt the part is just right of centre as you look at the engine, it is a black plastic part with two small hoses coming out, one goes down into the engine (not sure wher it connect, not mechanically minded) the other hose, which is the one that has snapped, connects to another part which has a gold coloured type dome thing. When it was disconnected there was suction on the pipe if you put your finger over it, does this help?

Comment

Working...
                              X