yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Field Monitor question. Has anyone heard of this one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Field Monitor question. Has anyone heard of this one?

Hello everyone! Nice site I must say. I live in the US and drive an '02 Toyota 4Runner.

I obtained a Field Monitor out of a Surf a few months back and I'm in the process of adapting it to work in my 4Runner. It's an altimeter, barometer, compass and temperature gauge. This one is the basic Field Monitors, which is an option on the N185 Hilux Surfs I believe. see attached:

I've heard another option is the GPS Field Monitor. This one incorporates a small trip computer and is programmable. It can also be linked to a GPS device although individually, it has GPS capability for a limited number of functions.

Is this true? If so, does anyone have one or have a picture of one? Neither the basic or GPS unit were an option on US 4Runners.

Thanks

-------------------------
    Wild Bill

2002 Toyota 4Runner Sport 4WD

being the technophobe that i am well renowned for thats all gobbledegook to me, so i thought i"d just say hello instead......
    the b****y dogs have been at it again

Comment

would you like a dog..........

Comment

Originally posted by Rock Slide
        I obtained a Field Monitor out of a Surf a few months back and I'm in the process of adapting it to work in my 4Runner. It's an altimeter, barometer, compass and temperature gauge.
        I've heard another option is the GPS Field Monitor.
        Is this true?
        Hello Bill,

Very difficult question. Toyota Surfs on British roads are imported from Japan with most of the neat stuff removed. They use different frequencies on GPS etc so it's all just ripped out before we get to buy them.

Officially imported British 4Runners were not as highly specced as the Jap vehicles so again, little info to give you.

You'll probably get more info off Jap or maybe the Australian site - http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/

Where in the States are you?
        Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Originally posted by deegz
          would you like a dog..........
          haha. No thanks. I've got a Pixiebob instead. Don't think he'd take to a dog being around.

Thanks

-------------------------
          Wild Bill

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo
            Hello Bill,

Very difficult question. Toyota Surfs on British roads are imported from Japan with most of the neat stuff removed. They use different frequencies on GPS etc so it's all just ripped out before we get to buy them.

Officially imported British 4Runners were not as highly specced as the Jap vehicles so again, little info to give you.

You'll probably get more info off Jap or maybe the Australian site - http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/

Where in the States are you?

Thanks, I'll check that site out too. I know you can purchase these units in New Zeland as well.

I live in Birmingham, Alabama by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Rock Slide
              [/I]I know you can purchase these units in New Zeland as well.
              Hello,

My daughter has recently been visiting relatives in NZ and has told me that it felt like every other truck was Surf. At least they have good taste!

So yes, they might be able to help.

I use the internet a lot, but I still find it amazing that we can be all other the world and helping each other out.

Closest I got to Birmingham, AL was Indianapolis. A long way from you I know.

Unless you count Birmingham, England. I've been there.
              Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

what the hell is a pixiebob.........

Comment

what the hell is a pixiebob.........
                  maybe its something like a gnomeneil
                  If it aint broke dont fix it

Comment

Originally posted by gary16163
                    maybe its something like a gnomeneil
                    ........ .......... .......... .......... wuz gonna ask if it was the name of his daughter, but thought that a bit to cheeky (sorry bill, only joking)

Comment

Don't know if this helps but there are things called GPS compass's they use the sat receiver purely to determine direction - nothing else, instead of the Hall effect type (electronic magnetic field type) compass.
                      I suspect thats the name just describes the type of compass.

At a guess interfacing one of these unit to any GPS unit would be a nightmare if at all possible.
                      Last edited by Vultch; 17 August 2006, 22:33.

Back in the day Baby

Comment

Originally posted by Vultch
                        Don't know if this helps but there are things called GPS compass's they use the sat receiver purely to determine direction - nothing else, instead of the Hall effect type (electronic magnetic field type) compass.
                        I suspect thats the name just describes the type of compass.

At a guess interfacing one of these unit to any GPS unit would be a nightmare if at all possible.
                        you been watching star trek again..........

Comment

you been watching star trek again..........
                          Beam him up scotty

Comment

damm.. i was just starting to put on the star trek uniform and all....

to boldly go where no man (in a pajero) has gone before...

Back in the day Baby

Comment

Originally posted by Vultch
                              damm.. i was just starting to put on the star trek uniform and all....

to boldly go where no man (in a pajero) has gone before...
                              Watch out for them clingons Vulch

Comment

Working...
                              X