Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any one know a good Auto Electrician?

HI Guys and Girls,

Does anyone know a good auto electrician in Southern Hampshire?

I need someone who can diagnose what is draining my batteries and repair the fault. The batteries are 3 months old so its probably not those that are the problem.

The alternator is charging them as when I jump start her and drive her for 40 mins she will start over and over again until I leave her for roughly 48 hours then nothing, not even the ignition lights.

When I got the car a few months back I installed a double din TV and DVD head unit, a flip down roof monitor in the back and a boost gauge and have not had any problems until recently however my wiring could be at fault as I am not an expert at these things. I have pulled the radio fuse and left her 48 hours and its still draining so I dont think its that however you never know.

I have a 3.0ltr "L" Reg Surf.

If anyone can recommend a good electrician in my area that would be great... (ouch this could be expensive... )

there's a great place in newbury "F K Autos"... real old fashioned and great service...

everyone around here uses them... might be worth a shot?
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

and they might be a little bit out of your way!...

was thinking of somewhere completely different!... but if you're passing!
      nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Something is taking a fair amount of current.. at a guess its the your new entertainment system can you disable your screens and DVD system, pull a fuse or connector.. see what happens

Back in the day Baby

Comment

Originally posted by cue_ball
          HI Guys and Girls,

Does anyone know a good auto electrician in Southern Hampshire?

I need someone who can diagnose what is draining my batteries and repair the fault. The batteries are 3 months old so its probably not those that are the problem.

The alternator is charging them as when I jump start her and drive her for 40 mins she will start over and over again until I leave her for roughly 48 hours then nothing, not even the ignition lights.

When I got the car a few months back I installed a double din TV and DVD head unit, a flip down roof monitor in the back and a boost gauge and have not had any problems until recently however my wiring could be at fault as I am not an expert at these things. I have pulled the radio fuse and left her 48 hours and its still draining so I dont think its that however you never know.

If anyone can recommend a good electrician in my area that would be great... (ouch this could be expensive... )

A mate of mine had the same problem a few years ago on his Montego, the batterys kept draining over night. Turned out to be a courtesy light in the boot was stuck on, so check all the interior lights apart from the obvious ones.
          Check the lights in the doors go off when they are shut, and the light in the glovebox if you have one.

Comment

How long are you charging the batteries for after they have been flat and what ampage is your charger?
            I usually charge mine for a couple of days after they have been flat, I have an automatic charger which switches off when they are fully charged and I've never had it switch off yet on the Surf even after 3 or 4 days.
            If you suspect it is a leak then disconnect one battery and stick a multimeter set on amps between the lead and terminal of the other and see if you get a reading.
            A few milliamps is normal and nothing to worry about.
            Don't forget it takes about 20 minutes running to put back what you take out on a normal start up.
            Laugh!!! I nearly bought my own beer.

Paul

Comment

If you have a multimeter disconnect the positive side of the battery/s now put the multimeter on amps and connect it in circuit to see what the current draw is. If its about and 1 amp or so check you courtesy lights, if it not the lights then remove fuses until no current is used that will then tell you what circuit to look at. To drain a battery flat in two days must be using a bit of current. Hope this helps.

P.s if you don't have a multimeter then somewhere like Maplins sell them real cheap just need to cope with a couple of amps, oh and do this test with engine etc off and doors closed....best of luck John

Comment

I pulled the radio fuse last week to see if it was that but the same thing happend so I dont think it could be that...

I will try the multimeter test tonight to see if I can source the problem.

I obviously have two batteries, which battery do I run the check on or does it not matter as they are in series?

Thanks guys.

Comment

Parallel. It shouldn't matter which, but I think the drivers side is classed as
                  the main battery.

Comment

Is the charge warning light on when you turn it all off and take the key out? This happened to me years ago on a Granada, it was a short on the altenator. Another favourite is the alarm if you have one.
                    Parts of your engine go up, stop then go back! Mm!

Comment

Hodges in Bevois valley in southampton
                      Enjoying Life after Cancer
                      Pops

Comment

HI Guys and Girls,

I need someone who can diagnose what is draining my batteries. The batteries are 3 months old so its probably not those that are the problem.

I'm having similar problems with both my 95 3.0L AND my wife's 93 3.0L, although we don't know how old the batteries are.

If the needle does not pass mid-way across the ammeter we know the motor will probably not start and on my wife's Surf some times the needle only gets to a quarter the way across.

Jump start the motor, drive it a couple of miles and for the next 5 days the Surf starts as though it has new batteries. Gradually the power drops until it won't start again. My motor acts similarly. It almost as though there's a connection that's fine some times and poor at other times. Strange that BOTH our Surfs are doing the same thing

A battery company checked my batteries and said they were fine, just at a very low state of charge. I've checked all four batteries with an hydrometer and all seem ok.

All battery terminals have been well cleaned.

Any help gratefully received.
                        Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Panrixx
                          I'm having similar problems with both my 95 3.0L AND my wife's 93 3.0L, although we don't know how old the batteries are.

If the needle does not pass mid-way across the ammeter we know the motor will probably not start and on my wife's Surf some times the needle only gets to a quarter the way across.

Jump start the motor, drive it a couple of miles and for the next 5 days the Surf starts as though it has new batteries. Gradually the power drops until it won't start again. My motor acts similarly. It almost as though there's a connection that's fine some times and poor at other times. Strange that BOTH our Surfs are doing the same thing

A battery company checked my batteries and said they were fine, just at a very low state of charge. I've checked all four batteries with an hydrometer and all seem ok.

All battery terminals have been well cleaned.

Any help gratefully received.

I would start with some new batteries mate, I just changed mine on my 2.4 and the difference is HUGE! before my surf would splutter to life an then turn over rough. New batteries an shes just begging to start! It just purs on start up now.

I got geniune toyota units for £120 and they disposed of my old batteries FOC. Well worth trying!!

Comment

I pulled the radio fuse last week to see if it was that but the same thing happend so I dont think it could be that...

I will try the multimeter test tonight to see if I can source the problem.

I obviously have two batteries, which battery do I run the check on or does it not matter as they are in series?

Thanks guys.
                            is your stereo hard wired to the battery?

Comment

Originally posted by sledge
                              is your stereo hard wired to the battery?
                              No idea Sledge. How do I tell?

My wife's stereo is the original large, square Toyota original and mine is a replacement unit.
                              Last edited by Panrixx; 22 September 2007, 11:13. Reason: spelling
                              Brian

Comment

Working...
                              X