Intercooler Idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intercooler Idea

Has anyone seen an intercooler mounted length ways where the air box sits (2.4)
    I think if I took it out and fitted a K&N job, there would be enough room to mount it down there, along with a little fan.
    Is this mad ? or possible ?
    Answers on a postcard...................... ...............
    Steve
    Side mounts are the new top mounts !

The idea is sound enough. You can, theoretically, install an intercooler
    just about anywhere. The only limitations, if I remember correctly, are
    that longer pipe runs introduce more turbo lag. On a Surf, however, it
    shouldn't matter too much. It's not like a sportscar.

Comment

some vw`s have this type but i think that heat soak would be a prbblem unless you built a box for it. ray

Comment

I seem to recall on the Aus tech site a guy fitted a front mounted cooler to a surf and then changed it to top mount and reported it worked better on top,
        You'd think a free flow of air would be better than mounting it in the engine bay, Suppose the ideal place for fresh air flow would be on the roof like refridgerated trucks, but it would'nt look too good, so it's gotta go on top of the engine for me so long as i can fit a temp controlled fan and a big enough scoop as it gonna poke through the bonnet (no lift), I'll have to try to insulate
        it from engine heat as much as possible,
        Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by ssray
          some vw`s have this type but i think that heat soak would be a prbblem unless you built a box for it. ray
          It would still be near the top with a bonnet scoop above it, also would be a lot further away from the exhaust than a top mount. Just looks as if it could be mounted without body lift.
          Steve

Comment

Originally posted by javars
            Has anyone seen an intercooler mounted length ways where the air box sits (2.4)
            I think if I took it out and fitted a K&N job, there would be enough room to mount it down there, along with a little fan.
            Is this mad ? or possible ?
            Hello,

Before I fitted my intercooler above the cam cover, I was going to fit it where you suggest. This is where the L200 and Paj's have it.

Reason - it's opposite the turbo/exhaust so would be much cooler. To make more room I was also going to mount the r/h battery under the boot.

Why didn't I do it? Because the pipe runs were going to be very long. As mentioned, the longer the pipe run, the greater your pressure loss.

Doing it top mount keeps pipe runs to a minimum. As per intercooled 3.0 Surfs.

So far, I'm very happy with the results - imagine, being able to accelerate up hill - still can't get over it.

More info on the thread http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=25052
            Attached Files
            Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo
              Hello,

Before I fitted my intercooler above the cam cover, I was going to fit it where you suggest. This is where the L200 and Paj's have it.

Reason - it's opposite the turbo/exhaust so would be much cooler. To make more room I was also going to mount the r/h battery under the boot.

Why didn't I do it? Because the pipe runs were going to be very long. As mentioned, the longer the pipe run, the greater your pressure loss.

Doing it top mount keeps pipe runs to a minimum. As per intercooled 3.0 Surfs.

So far, I'm very happy with the results - imagine, being able to accelerate up hill - still can't get over it.

More info on the thread http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=25052
              Yep know where youre coming from........but its not that much more pipe.......will hang on until the intercooler turns up...........I know we've touched on this before but did yours fite before or after your body lift ?
              Steve

Comment

Originally posted by javars
                did yours fite before or after your body lift ?
                Steve
                After a 1 1/2'' body lift. It made a huge difference for a top mount cooler because the gap between the top of the engine and the underside of the bonnet increases.

If you mount the cooler to the r/h side, a body lift won't make much difference because the inner wing will lift along with everything else.

Stick to a diesel intercooler - any one will do, you've just gotta find one that has inlets/outlets where your set up will need them.

Best place for silicone hoses - http://www.zenaracing.com/shop/index.php or have a search around ebay.

Now get cutting that bonnet..................
                Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Working...
                X