Sway/anti roll bars.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sway/anti roll bars.

Been reading a thread regarding the removal of sway/anti roll bars to obtain better articulation. All seems positive and sounds good.

Can anyone tell me (Mr Novice) where they're located so i can rip the blighters out in time for next weekend

Cheers.
    www.scottishmudclub.com for scottish events

Originally posted by smithsurf
    Been reading a thread regarding the removal of sway/anti roll bars to obtain better articulation. All seems positive and sounds good.

Can anyone tell me (Mr Novice) where they're located so i can rip the blighters out in time for next weekend

Cheers.
    you will see the drop brackets from the wheel arches and just follow them down and under the truck on the rear they attach to the axel and the front they attach to the chassis
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Are these the chaps???? Sorry for pics,should have cleaned it first!!

If they are,Do i remove both bars that run side to side and the bits off the chassis??

Cheers
      Attached Files
      www.scottishmudclub.com for scottish events

Comment

Originally posted by smithsurf
        Are these the chaps???? Sorry for pics,should have cleaned it first!!

If they are,Do i remove both bars that run side to side and the bits off the chassis??

Cheers
        thats the ones and yea take the brackets off too incase you decide to fit the A/R/bars again
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Good idea to put the bolts back in where possible to keep the threads clean
          Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Do remember also that Toyota put them there for a reason- to stop excessive body roll when cornering on roads. If you remove them and have an accident you might find your car insurance invalidated.

Anti roll bar disconnects are a partial solution. They allow temporary disconection for off roading and easy re-fit. More info here:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/SwayBar.shtml

Even so it's wise to notify your insurance company of any modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by laser_jock99
              Do remember also that Toyota put them there for a reason- to stop excessive body roll when cornering on roads. If you remove them and have an accident you might find your car insurance invalidated.
              That'd make a change. An insurance company trying to avoid paying.

Seriously though, when you do remove them, just take your driving steady
              for a day or two. You will notice a difference. It just requires a bit of adjusting
              to. However, unless you're planning on trying to take a tight corner at 70 mph,
              the body roll isn't actually that bad. When you take her over rough ground,
              however, you really will notice the difference then. Well worthwhile, in my
              opinion.

Comment

I've taken mine off, 'cos the brackets for the bushes are broken, and I wanted to paint it too!

With these Landcruiser springs, I don't feel any difference in body roll.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                  I've taken mine off, 'cos the brackets for the bushes are broken, and I wanted to paint it too!

With these Landcruiser springs, I don't feel any difference in body roll.
                  Just the back bar or both? Must admit, the body roll isn't as bad as some make
                  out. With just the rear bar removed, never noticed any difference whatsoever.
                  With the front bar off as well, it's pretty much like before the new springs and
                  shocks went on. You tend to get that slight sponginess. However, does it cling
                  to a surface like buggery.

It's like with anything else. You always get doomsayers. Was reading a thread
                  on the Aus site a while since recommending generally against it, with a link to
                  a US thread about someone who had removed the bars and said something
                  along the lines of trying to take a curve at 70 mph induced noticeable body
                  roll.

No sh*t Sherlock, it's a blo*dy Surf. Does make you wonder about some
                  people. Driving like a t*t in any vehicle is stupid, but expecting a Surf to
                  ever corner like a performance road car is, well ............, what can one say.
                  Last edited by MattF; 11 August 2006, 23:03.

Comment

I've only removed the rear bar, mainly to paint it so it matches my panhard rod.

Where's the report on todays outing in the super-cooled truck then, any dramas?

Comment

I've only removed the rear bar, mainly to paint it so it matches my panhard rod.
                      That's why then. I never noticed a jot of difference to handling with just the
                      rear bar off.

Where's the report on todays outing in the super-cooled truck then, any dramas?
                      Slowly trying to inch out of tight spot ............ Due to some numpty not
                      managing to quite get a certain vehicle finished yesterday, , I had to,
                      rather tactfully, broach the subject of going tomorrow instead of today when
                      they got up this morning. Guess who's name was mud for several hours.
                      Have taken her for a quick test run this aft, and she appears to be running fine.
                      Water temp stayed steady, rad temp stayed within its usual, and the factory
                      gauge took its normal spot. And, no bits exploded. So, the true torture test
                      is now tomorrow. Just have to change the fuse in the morning. Taking a safer
                      bet and going for an anti-surge type 30 to 40 amp fuse, rather than the 15A
                      that's in at the moment. Checked a vehicle fuse spec book earlier, and pretty
                      much all fuses that Vauxhall uses for their fans are either 30 or 40 amp, but
                      the normal 30A blade fuses can't cope with the inrush current when you turn
                      the fan on. Dropped on lucky with the 15A blade that I tested with in that the
                      fusible link shape seems to have anti-surge/slow blow qualities. Now that I've
                      probably bored everyone senseless, I'll let you know the outcome when we
                      get back tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                      X