front diff problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• front diff problem.

Hi guys .I wondered if anyone can help me.Now that the v8 is fitted in the engine bay.You probably know that ive opted to use my uprated c63 auto box that was on the v8 engine.This means that i will be running the surf in two wheel drive only via the rear wheels.So i was wondering if its possible to remove the front crown wheel and flange assembly,and to machine a plate to fit over the hole left where the diff would of gone,the question is will i be able to fit the half shafts back in the axle tube without them doing any damage.Or is there another way of doing this.I take it that the half shafts have got to be fitted because they hold the wheel bearings on.hope that makes sense.The reason i want to take the diff unit off is because i have a modified sump and i have clearance problems,also will it pass an m.o.t with the diff flange rotating around and not connected,or could i just make a cover to go over it.Any help greatly appreciated.
    www.overfab.uk

You're going to have to keep at least some of the carrier in there as it forms the inner bearing for the half shafts, but I don't see any reason why you couldn't remove one or both of the crown wheel and pinion. Might be easiest just to remove the crown wheel and leave the pinion shaft to seal things up.
    Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Just re-read your post and I think I've confused myself. I was assuming you've got a solid front axle but now I'm not sure. Either way the more I think about it I can't see why you need the drive shafts at all. On ifs or solid axles the wheel bearings are fully floating, so the drive shaft doesn't do anything other than drive (a bit like my back axle, but that's another story )
      Roger

Comment

hi roger its an i.f.s set up,so going by what you are saying i could remove the front drive shafts and remove the diff and carrier completely and plate the hole over,or do i have to cut the shafts near the drive flange on the wheel hub otherwise i will be left with an open hub, now im confused
        www.overfab.uk

Comment

Somebody might know better but as far as I can see you can remove the diff and drive shafts completely and then just do whatever it takes to stop the muck getting in
          Roger

Comment

Originally posted by Gamedawn
            Somebody might know better but as far as I can see you can remove the diff and drive shafts completely and then just do whatever it takes to stop the muck getting in
            ok cheers mate.thanks for the info so far.
            www.overfab.uk

Comment

Front Diff Removel

l am not sure but l think you would have to leave the CV joints in just pop them off the drive shafts. l would think TONYN would be able to either confirm that or condem it.
              Live Life To The Full

Comment

Originally posted by Gamedawn
                That would seem the best solution. Some sort of seal may need to be fabricated for the back of the hub. Could be done I suppose but I've never had a good look at this particular area. I think there is a dust seal there so maybe you could get a couple of new ones and convert to a blanking seal by glueing a plate or a piece of rubber over them ????

Nev

Comment

thanks for all the help and advice guys.much appreciated,but i have now resolved the issue of the sump hitting the front diff.
                  www.overfab.uk

Comment

Working...
                  X