Anyone use wheel spacers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone use wheel spacers?

Theres a 30mm set on ebay currently for 99p.

I can imagine how these would place serious strain on wheel bearings. Not to be recommended?
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Shouldn't this be in the joke section?

Comment

???

Comment

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ght=wheel+fell

Comment

I seeee.... When I spotted 'alloy', it did make me think "Hmmm, all that bending stress on a bit of (probably soft) alloy - not to mention the extra 30mm of bending stress on the wheel bearing"

Comment

Rough trax sell the proper spacers, and I think Danno is manufacturing/selling some.

Comment

There's two different sort of spacers. The first use extended wheel studs and the second have a seperate set of studs built into the spacer and are secured to the original studs using a second set of nuts. The first type are suspect because of the extra strain they place on the original wheel studs.

As long as the wheel bearings are in good condition in the first place they shouldn't be a problem. Spacers are no different to fitting larger wheels.
              Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Originally posted by Gamedawn
                There's two different sort of spacers. The first use extended wheel studs and the second have a seperate set of studs built into the spacer and are secured to the original studs using a second set of nuts. The first type are suspect because of the extra strain they place on the original wheel studs.

As long as the wheel bearings are in good condition in the first place they shouldn't be a problem. Spacers are no different to fitting larger wheels.
                Larger wheels... With the same offset, the inner edge will start at the same place as your original wheels. Spacers, the inner edge of the wheel will be (for instance) 30mm further out from the original position, hence extra bending stresses. That was my take on it anyway.

Bigger wheels and tyres would put bigger stresses on things when changing direction at speed (gyroscopic precession etc)

Or am I digging too deep?

Comment

Originally posted by Gamedawn

Have you tried changing the studs?? Its a bitch of a job !!!
                  3.0 TD SSR-X LTD 1994 Black, sold and passed MOT

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
                    Or am I digging too deep?
                    Yes Surf wheel bearing capacity is "adequate"

Originally posted by Dog_Book
                    Have you tried changing the studs?? Its a bitch of a job !!!
                    Yes - many times - it's easy when you've got a fly press
                    Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Working...
                    X