Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cambelt

------

hi there guys and gals how hard is it to change cambelt are there any instructions did a search didnt come up with much how long will it take brother in law doing it fantastic with cars this will be his first surf and 4x4 3.0 ltr turbo kzn 130 94 L reg many thanks for help

Originally posted by BIG GENERAL
    ------

hi there guys and gals how hard is it to change cambelt are there any instructions did a search didnt come up with much how long will it take brother in law doing it fantastic with cars this will be his first surf and 4x4 3.0 ltr turbo kzn 130 94 L reg many thanks for help
    Hello,

I usually find the Oz website a great help (after this one of course)

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/

Hope it helps
    Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

checked the site page i need is still under construction thanks for the link will cme in handy in the future

Comment

If its anything like the 2.4 then its piece of cake mate
        What comes around goes around!!

Comment

Skilled mechanic...

My captive Toyota/Lexus buddy says they're a piece of cake, about 1-2 hours max depending upon skill level, all day 4-5 hours for a diy'er first time round with copious cupos of tea/coffee and cakes.

I have the official Toyota workshop manual and although I have yet to do my 3.0 belt I have to say that as long as you pay attention to every detail, don't get distracted and be very careful with timing marks the job should present no real problems.

CHECK the tensioner pulley if it is at all loose/rattles etc ditch it and fit new. The actual pulley tensioner is spring loaded and will need to be removed off the engine and reset. lock it loaded with an allen key or similar...there is a hole provided for this locking method. When the belt and pulley are re-installed you remove the locking device and the belt is tensioned automatically. BUT you must still double check the timing marks exactly line up, do this by carefully turning the crankshaft through 720 degrees (2 full revolutions) then check timing.

On this engine the injection pump is gear driven off the crankshaft so in effect the belt you are changing just drives the camshaft, you won't upset diesel injection timing.

Good luck....mark everything before you dismantle and you won't make yourself a Chinese puzzle.

Comment

Do yourself a favour. When you do the job there are some parts you need to get.

Go to Toyota and order the genuine part Timing belt, belt tensioner and timing cover gasket. For the price of a new tensioner, you know that it's brand new and not going to need changing and saves farting about.

I had mine done by a Toyota mech, but after watching him do the job, decided that it was an easy job. It's a job you can do with the rad and fan in place, but is a little tight on the hand room.

Comment

Belt tensioner.

You only need to replace the belt tensioner if it has lost its ability to re-tension. You have to force the thing closed in a press or similar, if its goes easily then it needs replacing.

Milner 4X4 Offroad do all of the parts at reasonable prices, less expensive than OE Toyota parts, in many cases the parts are genuine Toyota anyway, just less expensive....bless em!

Comment

many thanks to all that replied to my question re cam belt. Your assistance was appreciated. Not so frightening when you actually start the job.
                thankx

Comment

Working...
                X