Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is buying a 2.4 a risk?

Hi Guys

First post so am probably asking questions that have been asked about a million times on here so please bear with me.

From all I have read it seems that the 2.4 diesel engine, with its inherent head design fault, is a complete dog and that they should be avoided.

Should I hold out for a 3.0 diesel or is the 2.4 not quite as bad as I perceive?

If I bought a 2.4, what is the likelihood that the head will go and if and when it does how much will it set me back to get it done? And once it's been done will it be a permanent solution or will it be an ongoing problem?

Any input would be greatly appreciated

Hawksie

Unfortunately on forums like this one, posts saying, "My Surf is wonderfaul and has never let me down," are rare. People tend to pst when things have gone wrong and they need help.

There was a batch of 2.4s that were fitted with heads that had a design fault. Once the head is replaced with the redesigned head it is just about bomb proof. You could DIY a head replacement, if you are handy with the spanners, for approx £500. Getting one professionally fitted will set you back between £1000 and £1500.

If it is any comfort, I have had my Surf for over three years. It has been well abused and I have overheated on three occasions and the head is still OK. Do I have the modified head? I don't know! I am prepared for the day when the head might go.

For the price that 2.4s are going for at the moment it is worth taking the risk and tucking some money away for a rainy day.

BTW. Where are my manners? Welcome to the forum Hawksie.
    Last edited by kitesurf_phil; 3 August 2006, 11:31.
    It's only a hobby!

Comment

Mines jus come back from having its head done, it cost me £1484.15.
      An shes up for sale cos she jus not economical enuff for me. she will be on sale on here ASAP. but il be sad to see to see her go
      Welcome to the mad house!!!
      Cheers
      Scotty

Drink Jagermeister Responsibly

Comment

All depends on budget and courage.

2.4s cost about the same as a 3.0 minus the cost of a replacement head (and a little bit more because they're slower).

Buy a 2.4 with the modified head and, as long as you're not in a hurry or planning on towing anything big, you've got a bargain that's just as reliable as a 3.0. Buy a 2.4 without the modified head and, so long as it's cheap enough, you've also got a bargain, albeit one that could go pop at any time.

New head fitted costs about £1,100 in total.

Most people would say to buy a 3.0 if you can afford it. I'd say that's fair enough but if money's tight buy a 2.4 with a modified head. Probably don't buy a 2.4 without the modified head unless you're handy with spanners and can get it for £500 less than one with the new head.

Scotty's one has a decent history so would probably be a good buy if and when he decides to sell it (and if you can't afford one of the nice 3.0s that are up for sale at the moment). My 2.4 may be up for sale soon, once it's had an MOT, and it also has the modified head.

Oh, and
        Last edited by Sancho; 3 August 2006, 13:40.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho
          Most people would say to buy a 3.0 if you can afford it. I'd say that's fair enough but if money's tight buy a 2.4 with a modified head.
          Spot on. My 2.4 has done 60+ thousand miles since I had it and 130,000 overall. The radiator split and overheated badly but still seems fine. it's been bloomin reliable

Mind you my mate has a 3.0 and it just plain goes better. the 2.4's are fine if the head doesn't go and cheap enough maybe to take the risk but the 3.0's are the dogs if you can afford it

Comment

Not that I am plugging my Surf all over the place , but it is great and quite cheap too. I am selling it on ebay at the moment but am open to sensible offers to end the auction early.

Any inspection / test drive is more than welcome

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=25039

Cheers
            "disinclined to acquiesce your proposition - NO"

Comment

yeah, 2.4s are good... especially if you get one thats already had its head replaced.
              LIKE MINE...
              i will be putting mine up for sale sometime in the next couple of months i think. buying a house = need to sell surf and buy a cheap banger to commute about in.
              she's no angel

Comment

Originally posted by Toyney
                yeah, 2.4s are good... especially if you get one thats already had its head replaced.
                LIKE MINE...
                i will be putting mine up for sale sometime in the next couple of months i think. buying a house = need to sell surf and buy a cheap banger to commute about in.
                Hey Toyney arnt you coming down in September for the SRTTS
                https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

ive got to drive to france first, got to nip down to Tours for 2 weeks ( until 8th Sept) to pick my boyfriend up and a load of stuff for our new houseboat over here.. ( got to buy the house yet though)
                  we could still be up for the SRTTS though. maybe a farewell surf voyage.. actually im considering moving house first, THEN selling it. I dont have much stuff to move but I recon it will be a couple of surfs full.
                  I measure everything in how many surf it would take now... not sure how i will cope with a dinky car but I havent a lot of choice.
                  she's no angel

Comment

Originally posted by Toyney
                    ive got to drive to france first, got to nip down to Tours for 2 weeks ( until 8th Sept) to pick my boyfriend up and a load of stuff for our new houseboat over here.. ( got to buy the house yet though)
                    we could still be up for the SRTTS though. maybe a farewell surf voyage.. actually im considering moving house first, THEN selling it. I dont have much stuff to move but I recon it will be a couple of surfs full.
                    I measure everything in how many surf it would take now... not sure how i will cope with a dinky car but I havent a lot of choice.

good luck with it all
                    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Ta for the above

Many thanks to all for the above.

One more question - is there any way of knowing if a head has been changed apart from asking the previous owner (who may of course be talking utter ball bags)?

With regard to the pricing of Surfs at the moment it seems that good 94/95 3.0 models are going for anything between £2500 and £3500, on ebay at least. Same year(s) 2.4s seem to be going for about £500 cheaper. Without wishing to upset anyone it seems that the prices people paid for Surfs a year/18 months are nowhere near where they are now.

Is it due to the number of "fresh" vehicles coming into the country flooding the market?

Any thoughts on current prices and price trend?

Hawksie

Comment

There are now more Surfs in Luton than there are Fronteras. Considering that Vauxhall were knocking them out cheap to employees and their relatives, you could have a point!
                        It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by hawksie
                          Many thanks to all for the above.

One more question - is there any way of knowing if a head has been changed apart from asking the previous owner (who may of course be talking utter ball bags)?

With regard to the pricing of Surfs at the moment it seems that good 94/95 3.0 models are going for anything between £2500 and £3500, on ebay at least. Same year(s) 2.4s seem to be going for about £500 cheaper. Without wishing to upset anyone it seems that the prices people paid for Surfs a year/18 months are nowhere near where they are now.

Is it due to the number of "fresh" vehicles coming into the country flooding the market?

Any thoughts on current prices and price trend?

Hawksie
                          dont think you will get a decent3.0 td for £2500 ,
                          about £3000 is about right for a standard 3.otd ,think the price drop is due to everyone hating 4x4 's (fashionable) and the price of fuel !!!! tax etc ,
                          if you are in the market for buying its all good
                          if you bought one awhile ago and selling then its not good news,
                          at the end of the day i payed about £3500 for mine and am well pleased with it, as a matter of fact might go for a 3rd gen but only if i got a good px on mine , who knows ??
                          Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Working...
                          X