20w/50 oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20w/50 oil

Does anyone use 20w/50 engine oil in their Surf? Just wondered as it can according to the manual be used in our prevailing temps. If so why and if not why not?
    Trust your Hound.

Isn't it one grade up from crude???

Not sure if it's suitable for turbo diesel engines though.

Comment

20w50 is a mineral based oil. this means it breaks down very quickly and stops doing its job and in this heat you need your oil to be working to the highest standard. in a turbo diesel you really need a part synthetic or fully synthetic oil. you will mostly find most peolpe will be using a good 10w40 on here.
      i like it muddy!

Comment

buggar? I read it takes mineral oil in the car shop, just done an oil change as well? It is dukhams though 15 40 i think?
        What comes around goes around!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gazbo
          buggar? I read it takes mineral oil in the car shop, just done an oil change as well? It is dukhams though 15 40 i think?
          10/40 or 15/40 are both fine. Unless you're planning on leaving the oil in
          for yonks, wouldn't worry too much if you used mineral. Semi-synth would
          be a preferable choice next time though.

Comment

I use Penrite HPR Diesel 20W60. Have done for nearly four years. I'm not the only one either. Many other Surf owners here in Australia use the same grade.

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by it's Jim
              20w50 is a mineral based oil. this means it breaks down very quickly and stops doing its job and in this heat you need your oil to be working to the highest standard. in a turbo diesel you really need a part synthetic or fully synthetic oil. you will mostly find most peolpe will be using a good 10w40 on here.
              Not true you can get 20w/50 fully synthetic. The grade has nothing to do with wether its synthetic or mineral.
              http://www.performanceoilsltd.co.uk/20w-50more.html

Found this
              20W50 can do everything a 10W40 can do except pass the sub-zero viscosity test
              at -20 degrees C.

So maybe you would not select 20W50 if you lived in the northern Yukon.
              Last edited by Taliesins; 1 August 2006, 13:28.
              Trust your Hound.

Comment

Working...
              X