yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Serious overheating, did I get away with it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serious overheating, did I get away with it?

Well, it happened.

Was just about to leave the motorway on the way to work. glanced down at the clocks as I indicated and the temperature was in the red, by the time I could get off onto the side and turn the engine off it was on the stop past the top of the red.

Got the bonnet open and steam everywhere. once it was cool I saw the radiator was split open right along the top. The RAC man put a load of 'chemical metal' on it which slowed it to a trickle, then pump radseal in which slowed it to a weep.

after this it was holding pressure, and came up to temperature (smartly up to the middle of the gague and stop there). No smoke, running fine. I just drove home 30 miles including some standing traffic and it was perfect. no bubbles in the overflow, no Mayo in the oil, no overpressure.

So do I just chuck on a new radiator, cross my fingers, and keep an eye on it?

Dave

yeah... give it a good flush out to get rid of the $hit he poured in too!
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
      yeah... give it a good flush out to get rid of the $hit he poured in too!
      I wouldn't let anyone put that C**P in any engine of mine.

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev
        I wouldn't let anyone put that C**P in any engine of mine.

Nev
        it's ok for an emergency fix... but wouldn't leave it in longterm!
        nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

I can't say I'm worried, not much is likely to be left after changing the radiator and clearing airlocks. I'm more worried about the stress I've put on the head.

Comment

think your probably ok if the rad had split, once its losing water the temp gauge will never be accurate.

you can only dot eh rad/stat/cap as the cheapest options first.
            Tim
            Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

I have a 2.4 and have overheated it quite badly at least three times. Twice it was due to mud blocking the rad and the other time was due to not keeping an eye on the coolant level. Touch wood - I have got away with it.
              It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
                I have a 2.4 and have overheated it quite badly at least three times. .... Touch wood - I have got away with it.

Cheers Phil, You are saying all the right things. 'cos I do have £140 for a new radiator but I seriously don't have the price of a new head, even at stevo's reasonable prices.

Comment

so if you want to save a few quid why not repair the rad - it's only copper and solder, or a rad repairer (rebuilder) could upgrade your core and put a new top tank on
                  Did I mention I have a BLUE one
                  Tony

Comment

Unfortunately time is money. I will have a new one in my hands for £140 tommorow morning. To take it out, get it repaired and get it back in would cost me a day's wages, or a couple of days car hire.

Comment

Working...
                    X