Rad cap!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rad cap!

For those of you that have been loosing coolant but can't find any visible leaks, look at you radiator cap, there's a rubber gasket that seals against the neck of the thermostat housing. Mine was torn and wrecked from repeatedly removing the cap to check the coolant. Replaced the rubber gasket with one I made myself from some rubber sheet I had and cooling system is 100% sealed again.

Or you could just buy another rad cap!

I thought I had cylinder head probs... but my rad cap too had small marks and bits missing, hard to notice, a new rad cap stopped the coolant spilling out of the coolant bottle every time I drove. My overheating was cured by carefully cleaning the radiator of muck, it took 4 sessions with a hose from every angle and stuff still came off. The final test was in the recent hot weather accelerating hard air con on and crusing at 90... temp no probs my temp gauge now sits in the middle.

Back in the day Baby

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
      For those of you that have been loosing coolant but can't find any visible leaks, look at you radiator cap, there's a rubber gasket that seals against the neck of the thermostat housing. Mine was torn and wrecked from repeatedly removing the cap to check the coolant. Replaced the rubber gasket with one I made myself from some rubber sheet I had and cooling system is 100% sealed again.

Or you could just buy another rad cap!
      I had exactly the same problem. Flushed the rad, changed coolant and fitted new rad cap and all is well (i hope)

I also got a new stat which I haven't fitted yet. Do you think I should bother now?
      Just Vegging Out

Comment

Originally posted by Bludger
        I also got a new stat which I haven't fitted yet. Do you think I should bother now?
        Well, it takes 5 minutes and will help to keep your engine cool. What do you reckon?

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho
          Well, it takes 5 minutes and will help to keep your engine cool. What do you reckon?
          5 Minutes?!

I've seen where it is on the 3lt and it looks like it'll take more than 5 mins. The alternator is in the way for starters.

Should I go at it from above or below?
          Just Vegging Out

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
            Mine was torn and wrecked from repeatedly removing the cap to check the coolant.
            Why do you do that? I'd say that i have only removed mine about half a dozen times in nearly four years. I always check coolant level via expansion tank. If there are no leaks and the level in expansion tank remains constant then there is no need to remove the rad cap except to check the condition of the seals occasionally.

Nev

Comment

5 Minutes?!

I've seen where it is on the 3lt and it looks like it'll take more than 5 mins. The alternator is in the way for starters.

Oh, right, yeah, wrong engine.

Sorry

Put it in anyway. Not gonna do you any good in the box.

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev
                Why do you do that? I'd say that i have only removed mine about half a dozen times in nearly four years. I always check coolant level via expansion tank. If there are no leaks and the level in expansion tank remains constant then there is no need to remove the rad cap except to check the condition of the seals occasionally.

Nev

'cos I was loosing coolant and the expansion bottle was full all the time. Didn't think about the rad cap 'cos it wasn't very old.

Comment

5 Minutes?!

Below. it aint that bad bit of jiggling leave the hose connected and disconnect it from the rad end actual changing probably 15 minutes topping up coolant etc. 30 mins
                  Trust your Hound.

Comment

Working...
                  X