Cleaning Engine Internals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning Engine Internals

The cylinder head gasket on my motorbike (Triumph Speed Triple) went, so I started to strip it all back to change it. When I got the head off, there is a lot of carbon build up on the pistons and around the valves. Can anybody recommend the best way to clean it up? Also, whats the best way to clean the old gaskets off the mating surfaces?
    Jez

I use brake fluid to lossen the carbon off the head . You can buy some carbon remover for frying pans which would do the job . For the gaskets I use a new stanley blade (carefully) or again you can buy gasket spray which breaks them down and they then come off the object they are stuck to .
    Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Carb cleaner will usualy shift the carbon deposits - use a bit of wood as a s$$$$er if necessary. For gaskets I use a pice of copper pipe flatened and sharpened like a chisle.

Comment

Originally posted by Jezware
        The cylinder head gasket on my motorbike (Triumph Speed Triple) went, so I started to strip it all back to change it. When I got the head off, there is a lot of carbon build up on the pistons and around the valves. Can anybody recommend the best way to clean it up? Also, whats the best way to clean the old gaskets off the mating surfaces?
        I use a plastic s$$$$er on pistons and valves. Dependant on the mileage dont go mad removing it from piston edges as the carbon does give a good seal, removing it all could cause probs on a high mileage machine.
        Soak mating surfaces in a good solvent to soften them up then s$$$$e carefully with as suggested a new blade, then clean off with a very fine emery cloth
        Trust your Hound.

Comment

I use a brass wire brush in a cordless drill, slow and carefull leaving the edge of the piston un dissturbed. If you wind the piston up to TDC fill the joint between it and the bore with grease then when you are done you can wipe off the grease along with the carbon etc and none will go down the join, then wash off residue with fuel. copper (for steel) or wood s c raper (for alli) to get rid of gasket then 1200 grade wet and dry wrapped around a sharpening stone to keep it flat to polish up the faces.
          jobs a good un
          Did I mention I have a BLUE one
          Tony

Comment

Nitromores,the varnish strip stuff is very good on carbon on metals

Comment

Dont be frightened of it. Its metal and as long as you think before hand, then you should be fine. Wd40 is cheap, safe and affective. Use this to clean as well as help remove dirt. I stanley blade is class for removing old gaskets, then a fine wet and dry (emry) with loads of wd40 on a rubbing down block. For the carbon, wire wool and wd40.
              What comes around goes around!!

Comment

Working...
              X