Torque Wrench

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torque Wrench

Working up to fitting a new cylinder head on my 2.4, and I need a couple of tools, one of which is a Torque Wrench. Picked one of these up from the local motor shop. Only thing is that it doesn't seem to work. I've set it to it's minimum setting of 10ft-lb which given the length of the shaft should give a force of about 7lb at the end of the handle. Using it on a bolt on a bike it doesn't seem to 'click' or give any form of indication that it has reached the specified torque setting. So either I'm a lot more wimpy than I suspected, or I'm doing summat wrong.

Any ideas?
    Paul </Slugsie>
    Immortal.so far!

Set it at a lower torque and try the same bolt again.

Comment

It already is at the bottom of it's range. It goes from 10ft-lb to 150ft-lb.
      Paul </Slugsie>
      Immortal.so far!

Comment

D'oh! sorry, I missed the bit where you typed minimum!
        Does the bolt turn when you try and tighten it?
        Try using it on one of your wheel nuts on the truck, if it don't click then, then it's faulty.

Comment

Originally posted by Slugsie
          It already is at the bottom of it's range. It goes from 10ft-lb to 150ft-lb.
          Try at a higher setting if it dont click take it back
          Trust your Hound.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
            D'oh! sorry, I missed the bit where you typed minimum!
            Does the bolt turn when you try and tighten it?
            Try using it on one of your wheel nuts on the truck, if it don't click then, then it's faulty.
            Just tried that, no click. Looks like it's going back. Bit if a pain as I think it was the last one in the shop and I'm not sure where else to get one locally.
            Paul </Slugsie>
            Immortal.so far!

Comment

I think I got my latest one from Argos......

Comment

Originally posted by Slugsie
                Just tried that, no click. Looks like it's going back. Bit if a pain as I think it was the last one in the shop and I'm not sure where else to get one locally.
                Aint you got a Machine Mart Locally £12.95 +VAT
                www.machinemart.co.uk
                Trust your Hound.

Comment

Originally posted by Taliesins
                  Aint you got a Machine Mart Locally £12.95 +VAT
                  www.machinemart.co.uk
                  Thanks for that, there is one just the other side of Preston. That price is less than half what I paid, and it includes the 1/2"-3/4" adaptor and an extension bar too.
                  Paul </Slugsie>
                  Immortal.so far!

Comment

Thanks again Taliesins. I took the first wrench back and got a refund. Went down to MachineMart, and for a couple of quid more I got the Torque Wrench (exactly the same as the first one but with a different brand, a NM scale instead of ft-lb, and it works too which is a bonus ), a complete set of 1/2" sockets in both short and long, and a 1/2" ratchet handle.

Result.
                    Paul </Slugsie>
                    Immortal.so far!

Comment

Working...
                    X