t-belt light fifth time lucky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• t-belt light fifth time lucky

When i bought my surf 18 months ago i had the t-belt changed, the mechanic didn't notice that the t-belt light was not yet on(97,000 miles only) so he took the dash apart and changed the screws over and then put the dash back together and the light was on so he went through the process again to reverse his mistake, i picked the surf up and he told me what he had done and we had a laugh, a couple of weeks later i had some time on my hands and thought that if i changed the screws myself before the light came on that the light would go out when i went past 100,000 needless to say i was wrong and the light stayed on so dash back out for the fourth time, today when i was driving home from work the t-belt light came on as my speedo went past 120.000 miles (my speedo has been converted properly and not just with a new fascia)so now i am going to have to take the dash out for a fifth time and hopefully the last.
    My point is if you have your speedo changed properly the t-belt light must come on at 60,000miles 120,000miles 180,000miles etc and not as i thought at 100,000 200,000 as it would if you just change the fascia.
    hope this is of some help to someone in surfland.

Why don't you re-set the timing belt light using the button through the dash screen?

The light should come on at 100,000kms intervals.
    Life on the edge is short, but the view is great !

Comment

Originally posted by Paff
      Why don't you re-set the timing belt light using the button through the dash screen?

The light should come on at 100,000kms intervals.
      I think the third gens have a slide switch on the rear of the console pcb, but
      no button.

Comment

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, lesson learnt.

Comment

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, lesson learnt.

Even so, sounds a bit easier than tearing out the dash! eh?
          I used to have a surf me!

Comment

To reset the light on the third gen you need to take the whole dash out and move a little screw from one hole to another
            nowhere near as easy as the previous models.

Comment

Originally posted by bell end billy
              To reset the light on the third gen you need to take the whole dash out and move a little screw from one hole to another
              nowhere near as easy as the previous models.

Bugg*r !

Comment

Bugg*r !
                Try doing it on the LCD dash newer 3rd gens, bigger bugger! We took the bulb out!

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                  Try doing it on the LCD dash newer 3rd gens, bigger bugger! We took the bulb out!

Marky, you have been warned !!!!!

Trev
                  Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

There must be a gizmo that can be plugged in somewhere to reset the light, I can't see Toyota garages going through all the faff of removing the dash at every belt change.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN

How about this method for the LCD 3rd Gens....
                      Maurice
                      Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Can someone please explain how one removes the clock etc on a 3rd gen 3.0 auto to access the screws as i am a total novice . The timing belt was done at 49500 miles and the vehicle is on 70000 miles now.

Comment

Timing Belt Light..

Wish I'd gone on forum earlier...
                          I had to get mechanic to do this last week....Initially he thought that once it had been switched once that reversing the screw positions would not work again(after it had been done once)....but alas to my satisfaction, and his, it worked...mileage reading 160K. taking out dash is not that big a job...once you see it being done once...

Bill

Comment

ten minute job on a 3rd gen. two scews under the steering colum one might be a 10 mm bolt head, then two screws under to to top of the dash infront of the clocks, it all then pulls out, then you have i think four screws holing the clocks in, put back is reverse of take out
                            SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Working...
                            X