Clocking a problem...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clocking a problem...?

Just been looking @ sanchos link about Vanrovers and checked the info about LC's. Among other things it said "clocking was rife" on these vehicles if they have no FSH. This is not the first time I've heard this, and was wondering if this was reckoned to be a problem on Surf's?

Cheers,

Shab.
    Carpe Biscalorum...

Originally posted by Shab
    Just been looking @ sanchos link about Vanrovers and checked the info about LC's. Among other things it said "clocking was rife" on these vehicles if they have no FSH. This is not the first time I've heard this, and was wondering if this was reckoned to be a problem on Surf's?

Cheers,

Shab.
    On a mechanical speedo, almost certainly. Imagine you're an importer. You have to take the clocks out to change the speedo face so you might as well wind her back whilst you're in there. Mine only has 90,000km on it (about 55,000 miles) and it's 15 years old......

Comment

Isn't there a maximum mileage or age in Japan though? This would explain why they are all low(ish) milers?

There are other ways to check too though. Seat condition, pedal rubbers etc. I would be concerned if they were either very worn, or not worn enough!

I bought mine direct from the importer at 68'000 *miles* about 2 years ago which given the overall condition of the vehicle (very clean) was quite believable. She has 87'000 on her now and hasn't missed a beat.
      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Not sure how true it is but because of the amount of vehicles in Japan they are only permitted to use their vehicles 3 days a week which would explain why alot of them are low milage and also they are only allowed a vehicle if they actually have a parking space.Like i said i'm not sure how true this is
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

At the end of the day. I never pay a bit of gorm to mileage on the
          clock. An engine that has done 200,000km can be far better than
          one that has done 100,000km if the higher mileage one has been
          looked after and the lower mileage one not. Also, faults can and
          often do occur whenever they please. My motto is always just to
          keep on top of problems as soon as they appear, rather than leaving
          them until later. Chances of getting caught out are then far lower.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho
            On a mechanical speedo, almost certainly. Imagine you're an importer. You have to take the clocks out to change the speedo face so you might as well wind her back whilst you're in there. Mine only has 90,000km on it (about 55,000 miles) and it's 15 years old......

I'm inclined to agree...it's just too easy to do. There's a dealer near me and all the Surfs are between 80-100k...thing is he thinks, actually insists, the mileage is in miles not Kms. So in reality, he does't have to wind them back as much as he [probably] does!

A good tip, although obviously not fool-proof, is to extend the seat-belt on drivers side and then let it go to see how fast it retracts, the resulting speed will give a fair indication of age. Unless it's been used as a seat-belt demonstrator....
            Carpe Biscalorum...

Comment

Originally posted by Shab
              There's a dealer near me and all the Surfs are between 80-100k...thing is he thinks, actually insists, the mileage is in miles not Kms.
              obviously knows his stuf...... I just assume anything over 5 years old is going to get clocked..............

Comment

Working...
              X