Cooling question time again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gazbo
    these hoses, shortened then modified, could become a greta home for a veg oil heater? right in the place where the egr used to live?
    Or indeed a heat exchanger for a shower....

Comment

mmmm, shower? Soap suds fresh???
      What comes around goes around!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gazbo
        mmmm, shower? Soap suds fresh???
        I wonder if I could hook up another water pump to get it up to mains pressure too? Lovely.

My surf will one day be the world's least appropriate camper...

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho
          That's the spirit. I'm going to pull the bugger.
          B0llocks. How do these things know when you can't be bothered doing something properly?

I pulled the wire for the electric fan, started the engine and guess what? The b@stard didn't go round. Reconnected it, started the engine again, disconnected it and 'whirrrrrrrrr'. So somehow it knew that I'd killed it. Surely that means that if, for instance, the wire comes off your fan won't ever go round. What a piece of 5hit.

So, I now have three choices:

1. Install a switch. Is that wire actually live? Am I going to blow me and my car up if I start playing with it? Presumably not, but I don't have a very good track record with not melting the electrics.

2. Install an electric temperature switch. The same as 1, but easier and I don't have remember to turn it on. Only problem is I can only find one that will cut out (and switch the fan on) at 55c (air temperature) which does actually sound about right.

3. Do it properly (boo!). From what I can gather, I need this http://www.toyotahilux.com/index.php...id=149&vid=948, then I take the old one out using a spanner, put this one in and reconnect the wire. 50 quid?? Does it make the tea and buy beer too? Assuming that's right, is there going to be about 10 litres off coolant eagerly pi55ing out of that hole as soon as I undo it? Does that mean I have to go to the garage and buy even more?

Oh yeah, back heater still not working. Would I be right in thinking that as long as I leave it off, it'll just shut that valve to it and I can ignore it?

Thanks everyone.

Comment

As far as fiting a switch to the fan all i did was cut the wire from the front sender (on stat houseing) strip back the covering and crimp on a wire, run it to a switch, crimp another wire on the other end and run it to the other side of the switch, thats it, ign on, switch on, fan on, My probs started when i tried to wire an indicator light to the switch, but thats down to the switch i used,

If you choose to replace the sensor, you will loose a bit of coolant but not much, top it up with a drop of distilled water,
            not sure if that wire is an earth but suspect it is, fan comes on if circuit is broken ie sensor gets up to temp or the wire breaks or you fit a switch in line to break it,
            Last edited by POPEYE; 26 July 2006, 20:55.
            Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Working...
            X