Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Apache
    Yep, still do. Systems Engineer.
    Do they still carry a laser in one of the weapons pods? We went to Atlanta and bolted a test laser under the wing of an Appache in the early Ninties for some experiment or other. I was never officially told what it was for- but we think it was going to be a target illumination/designation device. The Appache carrying the laser (invisible infra-red beam) would shine it at a target and another aircraft would launch a laser guided bomb or missile that seeks out the lit target.

Comment

Not my area, but there is a designator laser in the TADS (the 'ball' on the nose) for designating laser Hellfires.
      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

[QUOTE=BUSHWHACKER]Mine was lowered 2" with spax springs and shocks, used to sc rape the exhuast every time I drove on and off my drive.

That Audi quattro, wasn't that the car that started and ended the group B class 'cos they were getting too fast?

group b now you are talking thats when i got into rallying then they band it just like green laning,why cannt they ban ramblers and overpaid mps.
        Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

Group B was one of the most incredible motorsport spectacles ever. I can remember the likes of Lancia's 037, the 6R4 etc hammering towards me through a Welsh forest turninf night into day in the dark raising goosebumps on my back that still come back when I think of them! Incredible things!

It was deemed driving the equivalent of an F1 car between trees at night was just too dangerous, and thats a bit of a shame.
          Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
            Group B was one of the most incredible motorsport spectacles ever. I can remember the likes of Lancia's 037, the 6R4 etc hammering towards me through a Welsh forest turninf night into day in the dark raising goosebumps on my back that still come back when I think of them! Incredible things!

It was deemed driving the equivalent of an F1 car between trees at night was just too dangerous, and thats a bit of a shame.
            its a shame but the modern cars are just not the same, and wots this all about with the rally of wales now wot happened to the old rac rally of great britain, no offence to vince and co but why south wales
            Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

Originally posted by john.sally
              its a shame but the modern cars are just not the same, and wots this all about with the rally of wales now wot happened to the old rac rally of great britain, no offence to vince and co but why south wales

I'm just as p***ed off as you about it, You used to be able to go to the forrest stages and just stand there and watch. Now you have to pay to stand there!
              Then there's the 'special stages' in Cardiff, mega bucks what with the parking costs as well.
              I watch it on telly now!

Comment

Any qualified pilots here?
                I have a Private Pilots License.
                But if gliding is your bag baby then you may find some answers here:http://www.gliding.co.uk/bgainfo/nppl/faqs.htm

The Uk NPPL( National Private Pilots License) mentioned at this site is ok but does have its restrictions.

For more freedom in a Piston type aircraft the JAA PPL is a better license, although more hours are required to achieve it and a class 2 medical is required.

Once you have this license you could then convert with minimal hours to a glider if you wish.

The money you could spend on gaining a UKPPL license would probably be more than enough to gain a JAA license ( Which can be achieve for as little as 4 to 5 grand in the good old US of A and then converted when returning to UK)
                The JAA PPL can be used in other countries where as the UKPPL is for the United Kingdom only, being one of the restrictions.

Hope this helps a bit....I do tend to babble a bit so please excuse if a bit boring!!

Comment

Gliding to power conversion

Apache
                  The rules have changed a bit since EASA got involved a year ago
                  ( European unelected big brother now controlling all air law)

I believe that it is still possible to reduce the number of hours required to get a PPL by getting a silver C in gliding first. However I think that you now need to do it via a motor glider qualification.
                  There is also something called a sport licence which may be the equivalent of a PPL although as I only fly gliders I am not too well up on PPL requirements

The BGA ( they are in Leicester and I seem to remember their web site is www.gliding.co.uk - I can check this if necessary ) will be able to advise you on sites local to you plus may also be able to give you the latest update on requirements for conversion to PPL

However LEARNING to glide is quite expensive. Not too bad once you go solo but initial training consists of quite a few hours dual training with lots of circuit bashing with the instructor. The older you are the longer it takes although if you have experience in flying r/c models it helps a lot.
                  The general rule of thumb is one launch per number of years of age before you solo.
                  So check out relative costs before you decide.

Be aware that there is some risk in gliding. It is roughly four times more risky than riding motor cycles. ( Over last five years we have had about 2 deaths per year.) However most fatalities occur because of pilots who think they know better than the instructors. Stick to the rules and it is pretty safe.

If I can help further please contact me on crawleym@myrealbox.com

Mike

Comment

Working...
                  X