changing the overdrive while driving?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• changing the overdrive while driving?

[B][ Can you please tell me if I can change the overdrive (on/off) whislt going down the motorway, and also the ECT button.
    I am worried as this might affect the gear box.
    Many thanks
    /B]

Yep, no problem..

you can turn ECT and the overdrive on and off at will..

Not sure why you'd want to, but.......
    It just does, OK?

Comment

od

I've been told its best to leave it in OD all the time! Not touched the mystery ECT button yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Last edited by widey; 15 July 2006, 23:58. Reason: m
      Don't call me love, its not my name!!

Comment

As i understand it:

Turning the O/D off at too high speed 'could' cause the rear wheels to lock, as you're essentially dropping a gear, but because it's auto you can't build the revs up to match the road speed for the lower gear as you would in a manual. I'd leave it alone above 50-60 mph.

ECT you can play with at will. It seems to just let it hold onto gears a fraction longer, not sure if it's supposed to change the fuelling or something aswell to give it a bit more go.
        =========
        =SOLD UP!=
        =========

Comment

If you drive with the O/D off and the ECT on you will go faster

But

So will your fuel

Trev

ps it's fun though
          Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

use ECT button on mways and you will think your tank has a hole in it.....

Comment

Leave your O/D on all the time. (Dash light off). You gain
              littlew if anything turning it off. ECT is mainly useful when
              you want enhanced acceleration/gear change when passing
              some nob who thinks they can block you. You know
              the type. Sticks to 20mph for miles and suddenly floors it
              when you try to pass. Big bullbars and keeping the Surf in
              a straight move it or lose it line also help with this type of
              person.

Comment

The only time I turn the O/D off (light on) is around town - stiops the speed crreping above 30mph too easily.

Have been known to forget to turn it back on on the MWay, which really doesn't help fuel consumption!

Comment

I'd definitely not recommend turning O/D off (light on) above about 50mph. I've done it once by accident, and the rev-counter nearly had a fit and the engine was none too happy about suddenly trying to do about 16,000 rpm! (OK, may be a slight exaggeration ).
                  Paul </Slugsie>
                  Immortal.so far!

Comment

Originally posted by shumba
                    [B][ Can you please tell me if I can change the overdrive (on/off) whislt going down the motorway, and also the ECT button.
                    I am worried as this might affect the gear box.
                    Many thanks
                    /B]
                    Hi,
                    Yes, both these actions are physically possible....Recommended....NO. ..well to change down ie switch overdrive off whilst engine was at maximum revs / maximum speed would be foolhardy IMO. Why ? The manufacturer has covered themselves by affixing a sticker on my truck advising against this ! Ok, it is written in japanese but it was to this (home ) market this truck was designed / built for....Not their fault / responsibility if any subsequent drivers cannot comprehende is it ?
                    Apparently, on later designs of truck, whilst it is possible to alter the switch position, it is electronically "disabled" at a pre-determined level... More
                    gizmos to bother about tho....

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by Slugsie
                      I'd definitely not recommend turning O/D off (light on) above about 50mph. I've done it once by accident, and the rev-counter nearly had a fit and the engine was none too happy about suddenly trying to do about 16,000 rpm! (OK, may be a slight exaggeration ).
                      Hello,

When I am towing the horse box, I regularly switch the over drive off. It gives me far more control of the gears and stops that annoying 'hunting'. There is nothing worse than the 'box changing up when your on a hill and losing all revs - it's actually dangerous.

Having crested steep a hill or when I'm happy with the revs, I switch it back on.

At 50mph (2000rpm) switching it off sends the revs (momentarily) up to 3000rpm, then it settles to 2500rpm, much more torque (and no hunting).

I've been towing with this Surf for over three years and have had no gearbox problems. I never touch the ECT button - mainly because it's hidden under my CD changer so I can't easily reach it!
                      Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

There is an easy test you can do:

At the start of a motorway slip road, turn the O/D off (light on).
                        Accelerate along the slip road and join the motorway proper.
                        Note the speed at which the revcounter redlines, then switch the O/D on (light off).

Do NOT switch the overdrive off above the speed you noted.

Comment

Note the speed at which the revcounter redlines, then switch the O/D on (light off).

Redlines.....OMG, my Surf's never been anywhere near its redline.

It's 14 years old and got 195,000km's on the clock - I think it would self destruct or enter another dimension/alternate reality (or is that at 88 miles an hour?). I know its A TOYOTA but still......
                          Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Working...
                          X