semi or fully synthetic oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• semi or fully synthetic oil?

only had the go faster burgundy beast for two months so i would appreciate your help peeps! probably already been covered but hey i'm new
    surfs up (in sales anyway)

I woundnt bother with synthetic oil unless i was running the vehicle from new.
    It would cost a lot more also as you have to change the oil every 5000km`s.

Comment

I'll second that. A lot of expense for no real benefit. Unless you were
      using something like a dual remote oil filter, you'll still have to change
      the oil fairly frequently. (God, I still want one of those.... sigh).

Comment

a dual remote what ??? you lost me there
        surfs up (in sales anyway)

Comment

Originally posted by kev n sam
          only had the go faster burgundy beast for two months so i would appreciate your help peeps! probably already been covered but hey i'm new
          Neither just a straight oil and change it often I use Comma 15w/40 because Its cheap.
          Trust your Hound.

Comment

Asda £4.99 diesel oil- use the milometer and change the oil on each multiple of 5,000Km (mines next due at 180,000km!!).

Comment

surely fully synth would outlast 5000 klms, its designed to last alot longer than regular oil , that's why its like 30 quid for 5 litres , it may help the engine but the costs would be higher than sticking stock oil in every 5k , i personally do what i thinks best for any motor i own , money depending .
              Last edited by internetsurfer; 14 July 2006, 22:10.

Comment

Originally posted by kev n sam
                a dual remote what ??? you lost me there
                http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
                https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/bf.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by internetsurfer
                  surely fully synth would outlast 5000 miles , its designed to last alot longer than regular oil , that's why its like 30 quid for 5 litres , it may help the engine but the costs would be higher than sticking stock oil in every 5k , i personally do what i thinks best for any motor i own , money depending .
                  No matter how good the oil, diesels create a lot of sooty deposits in the
                  oil, and the filter only lasts so long.

Comment

I think regular oil changes using the cheap stuff is the way to go, as well as lubrication the oil sucks up all the $$$$..I was amazed how quickly the oil changed colour (as it became contaminated) in my surf as opposed to my petrol beasts..... Halfrauds semi synth stuff £15.00

Back in the day Baby

Comment

Originally posted by internetsurfer
                      surely fully synth would outlast 5000 klms, its designed to last alot longer than regular oil , that's why its like 30 quid for 5 litres , it may help the engine but the costs would be higher than sticking stock oil in every 5k , i personally do what i thinks best for any motor i own , money depending .
                      Your money dude- but the service interval for these cars is 5,000km not 20,000km. After 5,000km the oil will be full of sooty crud and all the cleaning and anti corrosion properties of the alkaline detergent additive is depleted- regardless of the quality of of the oil used. Surf diesels are low reving & high maintenance not high performance, high reving petrol engines!

Comment

i run on fully synth, but then again i get it free ! same grade as mobil 1 ...

change it every 3000 km.
                        TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

I use duckhams synthetic based (???) 10/40 - cheap at makro -25litre drum for £25 quid. changed every 3 months. along with greasing my nipples.
                          Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Comment

I run Castrol GTD semi-synthetic oil in mine. It's a bit dearer than the normal oil, but coats all the internal surfaces with slippy synthetic particals, so helps with cold engine wear. You have to look after your engine like your heart, otherwise it will pack up and die. Give it a transfusion every 5,000Kms with a GOOD (I use the genuine Toyota) oil filter and the engine should stay in a good low cholestrol state.

Comment

Working...
                            X