Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head Paranoia

Hi all
    Love my Surf but reading all recent posts about 2.4 head problems I decided to try and check things out. Could not find any addresses for Toyota Japan (email or snail mail). Finaly got in touch with Toyota UK Customer Service who wouldn't give me any details. They did in fact give me fax No and email addy for Toyota-Europe. I sent an email to Toyota-Europe with my vehicle details, asking them to forward my request for recall information to Toyota-Japan. Today I received a phone call from a very nice lady at Toyota-Europe. She told me that she had forwarded my request to Toyota-Japan. They reported back to her that my vehicle was not one of those on the recall list and that I would not have the cylinder head (or gasket problem ???). She did not have any more information than this and had probably just received a fax from Toyota-Japan with the details as stated. The report she gave me has made me feel a lot better, but why am I not jumping for joy ! Could the head fail even if my vehicle was not on the recall list ?. PARANOIA SUCKS...BIG TIME !!!!
    JJON

Normal is just a wash setting.

Originally posted by jjon
    Hi all
    Love my Surf but reading all recent posts about 2.4 head problems I decided to try and check things out. Could not find any addresses for Toyota Japan (email or snail mail). Finaly got in touch with Toyota UK Customer Service who wouldn't give me any details. They did in fact give me fax No and email addy for Toyota-Europe. I sent an email to Toyota-Europe with my vehicle details, asking them to forward my request for recall information to Toyota-Japan. Today I received a phone call from a very nice lady at Toyota-Europe. She told me that she had forwarded my request to Toyota-Japan. They reported back to her that my vehicle was not one of those on the recall list and that I would not have the cylinder head (or gasket problem ???). She did not have any more information than this and had probably just received a fax from Toyota-Japan with the details as stated. The report she gave me has made me feel a lot better, but why am I not jumping for joy ! Could the head fail even if my vehicle was not on the recall list ?. PARANOIA SUCKS...BIG TIME !!!!
    Have a look here, it's the list of those chassis numbers that were recalled. I wouldn't believe Toyota if my life depended on it.

http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/info/recall.htm

Also sorry to be the bearer of bad news but my head went and it wasn't on the recall list. I'm pretty sure that if you have a 2LT or 2LTE built before mid 1993 it will have the old design of head on it which is the one the problems. So unless it has been replaced in Japan it would be a good thing to get a pressure test on it now. You may get away with it though as it seems like a bit of a lottery with some people having no problems, others immediate problems, and mine which took a year to go (out of warranty of course).

Cheers
    Last edited by lucky; 7 January 2004, 15:38.

Comment

Going - gone

From the collective knowledge listed on this forum. I would say that the head suffered from poor design. As such, it's only a matter of time before the head inevitably fails.

If I were you, I would either start putting money aside now to pay for a new head or get an after-market warranty.

Also, the paranioa won't go away. I have a new head AND a warranty - and every journey is still a nail biter!!

Comment

I just checked my Chassis No against the Japanese recall list and mine doesn't fall into the production runs mentioned. Can I breathe a sigh of relief? Fingers crossed!
        It's only a hobby!

Comment

checked my numbers!
          i assume that LN130-0083737- LN130-108267
          MEANS ALL NUMBERS BETWEEN THOSE 2?
          coz mine falls between them!!!

IF SO: I could be HEADing [get it] for a fall now.
          Enjoying Life after Cancer
          Pops

Comment

Numbers up

Mine falls within the range - head was done by the previous owner in June 03

Comment

Originally posted by robnw67
              Mine falls within the range - head was done by the previous owner in June 03
              well if mine goes it goes, no good becoming gibbering wreck watching temp gauge and bonnet.
              if it goes i will have to smile at the bank manager again
              shes very nice man!!!!
              Pops

Comment

Just out of interest I have attached a copy of fax I received from Toyota-Japan....After I had spoken to the nice lady at Toyota-Europe I received a call from a chap at Toyota-GB, who couldn't tell me much...Imports...blah...blah !!!!. But he did give me a fax No for Toyota-Japan. So I sent them the same fax directly. The attachment is copy of their reply. Nothing new there. Strange thing is, excellent motor...indifferent manufacturer !!!!!

The paranoia continues
                JJON

Normal is just a wash setting.

Comment

The address for Toyota Japan is 22-23,izumi 1chone,noagoya 461 8711 Japan.Dont hold your breath I havent had a reply in 3 months.Sorted my head out now anyway,new head new bolts,gaskets all the belts and a new rad all for £960 best money I have ever spent.If you have 2.4 worries just find the money and get it done.I love my surf now after a bad start.Thanks to the guys on here and to uk cylinderheads and Milner

Comment

Originally posted by flyingspanner
                    The address for Toyota Japan is 22-23,izumi 1chone,noagoya 461 8711 Japan.Dont hold your breath I havent had a reply in 3 months.Sorted my head out now anyway,new head new bolts,gaskets all the belts and a new rad all for £960 best money I have ever spent.If you have 2.4 worries just find the money and get it done.I love my surf now after a bad start.Thanks to the guys on here and to uk cylinderheads and Milner
                    Like i said earlier:
                    well if mine goes it goes, no good becoming gibbering wreck watching temp gauge and bonnet.
                    if it goes i will have to smile at the bank manager again
                    shes very nice man!!!! and hope i dont end up in
                    Pops

Comment

mines an 006, so does this mean i,m fine then

i hope so

Comment

Originally posted by ship
                        mines an 006, so does this mean i,m fine then

i hope so
                        look on earlier post list numbers m8 sounds like you not on it tho
                        Pops

Comment

Working...
                        X