Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bio-the future?

from todays irish paper

THE Larry Goodman-owned Irish Food Processors (IFP) is to invest in a new plant which will convert animal fat into diesel, the company announced yesterday.

The company said a location for the new plant has yet to be chosen, with provisional sites in Ireland and the UK already under examination.

Neither would it disclose the level of its investment, but it said the project will be financed out of its own resources. The plant will create between 30 and 40 new jobs, with a further 15 to 20 involved in support services, a spokesman said.

IFP has spent three years studying the concept and said its new facility will be the largest of its type in Europe, capable of converting animal fat into 110m litres of biodiesel annually. The diesel produced at the plant will be capable of powering diesel engine vehicles with no modification, the IFP spokesman said.

In a statement issued yesterday, the company insisted that it would prefer to locate the facility in Ireland, but a final decision will depend on the level of tax supports available, something which will not become clear until the Department of Marine, Communications and Natural Resources publishes its plans for supports.

Awaits

"IFP wishes to locate Europe's largest animal fat biodiesel facility in Ireland, and eagerly awaits the publication of the Department of Communications Marine and Natural Resources scheme," it said.

At present, tax reliefs here are available for about one million litres of biodiesel production annually, well below the projected capacity of the IFP plant. The UK sets no limit on the amount of biodiesel that can be set against tax.

Britain yesterday signalled increased target for biofuels use, to 10pc by 2015. The EU is encouraging governments to cut the level of taxation on biodiesel, which normally sells at a slight premium to normal diesel. It is also demanding that member states replace 5.7pc of normal fossil fuel consumption with renewable sources.

I have been informed by one of the regular drivers at work, that there is a place near Wilton that produces and exports thosands of litres of biodiesel every week.
    Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick
      I have been informed by one of the regular drivers at work, that there is a place near Wilton that produces and exports thosands of litres of biodiesel every week.

Whats the point of Bio deisel anyway?? when regular veg oil easily produced can be had for 30 odd p a litre?

Al.
      I used to have a surf me!

Comment

Originally posted by phoebelala
        Whats the point of Bio deisel anyway?? when regular veg oil easily produced can be had for 30 odd p a litre?

Al.
        Simple answer. The petro-chemical industry can't make a killing from
        veg oil, which by inclusion, means neither can the Government.

Comment

Working...
        X