Timing Belt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing Belt

My timing belt light has just come on after clocking up 120000kms. Is this right? I thought it was 100000kms when it should come on. I bought my surf when it had done 107000kms. I will have to change the timing belt and I would like to know whether it is a big job, can a total mechanical novice like me do it? Is it an expensive job? Thanks in advance for any help on the subject.
    [font=Comic Sans MS][i][size=+3][color=red][b]Paul[/b][/color][/size][/i][/font]

[b][size=+2]1992 2.4TD SSR-X AUTO[/b][/size]

Originally posted by The Griff
    My timing belt light has just come on after clocking up 120000kms. Is this right? I thought it was 100000kms when it should come on. I bought my surf when it had done 107000kms. I will have to change the timing belt and I would like to know whether it is a big job, can a total mechanical novice like me do it? Is it an expensive job? Thanks in advance for any help on the subject.
    one of those jobs that's a piece of **** unless you do it wrong, then it's a pain in the ass!... so long as nothing moves and the belt goes exactly as the old one was it's pretty much a case of take off cover, loosen belt, take off and pop on a new one!
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Not on a 92 2nd gen , never done one but it's a bit harder than the 3rd gen .

Comment

By the way, where can I buy a new timing belt from?
        [font=Comic Sans MS][i][size=+3][color=red][b]Paul[/b][/color][/size][/i][/font]

Comment

By the way, where can I buy a new timing belt from?
          milners

but your best bet would really be to get that sort of thing genuine toyota... just for the peace of mind.
          not too expensive

Comment

My timing belt light has just come on after clocking up 120000kms. Is this right? .
            maybe your true mileage is 200,000kms

heard its a bitch of a job

believe Milneroffroad.com do them

Comment

Originally posted by JimL
              maybe your true mileage is 200,000kms

heard its a bitch of a job

believe Milneroffroad.com do them
              Undoing the Crankshaft Pulley is a BIG BITCH!!

You will need something to hold it or stop the engine turning over. Its done up to about 123 ft lb (flipping tight)

Might be worth changing your Air con, Power steering & alternator belts whilst you are at it.

Took me a good day to do mine but I did not rush it!

Good Luck

Paul
              DUNNO'S BACK ..........He never really went away!

Comment

Originally posted by Dunno
                You will need something to hold it or stop the engine turning over. Its done up to about 123 ft lb (flipping tight)
                like a lockout kit perhaps??

Comment

Originally posted by Dunno
                  Undoing the Crankshaft Pulley is a BIG BITCH!!

Might be worth changing your Air con, Power steering & alternator belts whilst you are at it.

Took me a good day to do mine but I did not rush it!

Good Luck

Paul
                  you need a good fitting cranked ring spanner, sharp tap with hammer, comes undone dead easy
                  [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
                  [size=5][/size]
                  [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

I think my best bet is to get a mechanic to do it. Anyone know of anyone decent in the Birmingham area?

Comment

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo.....n ot a mechanic
                      If you own a Surf...DO IT YOURSELF!!!!!!!!

Check this link and follow the instructions
                      http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/timingbelt.htm

REMEMBER it is easy as an easy thing if you whip the radiator out, its a good chance to give the whole system a flush while you are at it.

Beg, Buy borrow or nick a good harmonic puller and the cranckshaft pulley is a doddle.

Ask about. I am sure there is someone here can come and give you a hand, its just means that you will need twice as many lagars for the days work. About 2 dozen should be sufficient!
                      Last edited by simono; 7 January 2004, 08:21.
                      Simon.O.
                      '90 SSR Ltd 2.4TD 5 spd

Comment

If you diy or get someone else to do it, I'd check out your water pump and your cam/crank seals as well whilst your there, saves you pulling it all apart again in a few k's time.
                        Life is not a dress rehearsal
                        1996 3.0 SSR-G 5-speed
                        (Auto's are for the indecisive!!)

Comment

i did mine last year and if you dont feel confident doing it then you shouldn't. Is a bit of a pain of a job. Took me five hours in total, including the water pump. There are quite a few things that can go wrong. That said, if you wanna learn how to do it, theres no time like the present.
                          Derek :
                          1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd
                          [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]S[/U][/COLOR][/B]ave [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]U[/U][/COLOR][/B]p [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]R[/U][/COLOR][/B]eadies [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]F[/U][/COLOR][/B]ast. Cause you're gonna need them!

Comment

Originally posted by gemini
                            you need a good fitting cranked ring spanner, sharp tap with hammer, comes undone dead easy
                            If you have a problem getting the Crankshaft pulley bolt undone and you don't have access to a locking kit then you can do the following.

Undo the large bracket that supports the alternator, aircon pump and the bottom idler pulley.

Use this large bracket as a locket kit by attaching it with two bolts to the holes where the 4 small bolts attach the two parts of the pulley together. This is long enough to jam under something to lock the crankshaft and still get to the bolt to undo it. Use the slot where the idler pulley fits onto the bracket to put the two attaching bolts through.

Hope that this makes sense.

cheers

Comment

Toyota have quoted £190inc to change the belt and my local garage has quoted £150. Am I better off going with Toyota for the sake of £40?
                              Hmmm...

Comment

Working...
                              X