broadband upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• broadband upgrade

i've been looking to upgrade my BT Broadband to the new fangled "up to 8MB" (i can get 5MB)...

i'm currently on unlimited usage, but the new one will be limited to 40Gb per month.... is that a lot??

how much do people use??
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

have you looked at talk talk ??? it seems a better package than bt' s and cheaper
    Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

thats a decent limit mate. unless your downloading constantly then it will be plenty.
      Tim
      Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

having trouble with carphone warehouse at the moment (they never answer the phone or letters!!)

i haven't got a clue how mush i usually use, sometimes not a lot, but sometimes i'll download music constantly for a few days!...

mind you, thinking about it, my HD has 32Gb of music and that's over 10,000 songs!

Comment

Have a look at NTL if you can get cable, they are moving towards 10meg.
          Parts of your engine go up, stop then go back! Mm!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
            i've been looking to upgrade my BT Broadband to the new fangled "up to 8MB" (i can get 5MB)...

i'm currently on unlimited usage, but the new one will be limited to 40Gb per month.... is that a lot??

how much do people use??

Unless you are continually downloading music and stuff that should be more than enough...given that the average mp3 was 10Mb you would have enough bandwidth for 4000...
            Carpe Biscalorum...

Comment

Originally posted by TJG
              Have a look at NTL if you can get cable, they are moving towards 10meg.
              hehehe!!... no thanks!.... had cable a few years back and they were awful!!.... still get bills for £3, then a refund, then a red letter, then a refund!...

had police call at 5am one morning cos someone had dialled 999 from our address... the cable was cut at the pavement when i had a new driveway laid 6 months before!!

the worst customer service i've ever known!... apart form carphone warehouse!!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man

how much do people use??
                its a fair amount, but to be honest its only realy worth it if they upgrade your upload speed which i doubt they will, so you upgrading from say 2 meg to 5 meg download speed you will not see any or very little diffrence..

most people wont use anywhere near 40 gig just surfing the net!!

the gigs soon mount up when you start downloading full length movies,
                which i know nothing about!!

i have heard people talking about talk talk and it is said to be very cheap but i can not confirm wot type of service they give...
                CHEERS JOHN................

Comment

No comment on my installation - but HATE calling flaming Calcutta to be bounced between services when my line died grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

What should happen when you upgrade though is that 10 WORKING days from the date of installation you should get the increase in speed.

However from my experience the increase is variable, have had 6mb down to 3mb, but it does work.

I have also found that they appear to have an inactivity timeout on the line - ho hum great when one of my cancer research machines wants to call home in the middle of the night grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Trev
                  Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

i had the inactivity thing when i first went to bt... it was in the connection settings.

it comes with a handset for internet calls which i thought would be handy cos my family of idiots find msn and skype too confusing!

Comment

Originally posted by UDTrev

I have also found that they appear to have an inactivity timeout on the line - ho hum great when one of my cancer research machines wants to call home in the middle of the night grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Trev

I don't know how au fait you are with computers Trev, but it would very easy to sort timeout problem using Task Scheduler and a simple batch file.

Please tell me to shutup if I'm teaching my grandmother to suck eggs...

Cheers,

Shab.
                      Carpe Biscalorum...

Comment

Originally posted by Shab
                        I don't know how au fait you are with computers Trev, but it would very easy to sort timeout problem using Task Scheduler and a simple batch file.

Please tell me to shutup if I'm teaching my grandmother to suck eggs...

Cheers,

Shab.
                        dint know trev was ya grandmother

Comment

Originally posted by slim

I thought everyone did....

Good 'ol Granma Trev...
                          Carpe Biscalorum...

Comment

Originally posted by Shab
                            I thought everyone did....

Good 'ol Granma Trev...

lol...........

Comment

Originally posted by slim
                              I am ?

I know I have a girlie car tonight (Hippo in for her recall so have a Deisel Yaris so gonna be a long drive into work tomorrow) but I have NOT have the op.

TRev
                              Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Working...
                              X