Opinions please....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions please....

I have a 2nd gen (1991) 2.4 auto. It has a Stevo head and seems to now be fine, after a fair bit of cash has been spent on it. I like it because it is comfy and I can fill it up with stuff and cruise around in it.

However, it is grey, has standard steel wheels, standard interior, rubbish stereo etc etc.

What I am wondering is, in the panel's learned opinion, whether I would be best off (a) keeping it serviced, changing the wheels, maybe giving it a lift and generally being nice to it or (b) getting rid of it and getting a 3 litre or a V6 with alloys, decent stereo, working aircon etc.

I've got no particular attachment to my current motor and, whilst I am not generally short of money , I don't like just wasting it, so I was thinking I might be better off 'upgrading' to one of the others. I also don't really have the time or the knowledge for tinkering so thought something newer and with a bigger engine might be less 'idiosyncratic'.

Now that you've had the head done, you've got no more worries in the engine department.
    I reckon you've got a good base to start from to fit goodies to it like fat wheels and tyres, arch extentions, body and suspension lift, spotlights, vents, scoops, visors etc etc. you will end up with a personalised truck that you can say....."I built that"

Comment

only you can make those decisions? I personally like tinkering around with my surf. I have put new speakers in, fixed most the niggly problams, put a timing belt on, sorted my starter motor myself, tinted my windows. Infact, it is the only car since my mini days that i wash and polish!
      What comes around goes around!!

Comment

Solid front axle, 6" lift, SB Chevy, 35's, etc,etc.....

You know you want to.

Just leave it down here, and keep tranfering money to my bank account....

Depends what you want from the truck, a 3.0 will make you grin more driving it, especially if you lift it and get bigger tyres. If the 2.4 is always gonna bug you thinking about the lack of power and head paranoia you need to upgrade.

Cheapest option is a nice set of wheels and tyres, and some ICE. But them you still have a early 2.4 surf that is only getting older.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

My tuppence worth.....

try a ride in a 3.0 first and see how it grabs you. If it grabs you and you plan to keep your next one for a while buy a 3.0

The way the prices are going you could probably pick up a decent one relatively cheaply with a few mods on to start you off.

Comment

my 2.4 was much more boring than yours!(and also grey...) stuff comes up on here all the time to add a bit of flash, and its much more fun than just going out and buying one....first thing to do, go and t-cut it, makes it a much nicer colour. then go shopping!

3.0 would be nice though...
            it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Hello Mate. The 3rd Gen ltr is a wicked truck, if you can try one then do it.
              SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Your choice, But if i was starting again id go for a 3lt, but i done too much to just trade it in for another and i've enjoyed doing it, mines grey as well and as charlie says a good polish makes the colour ten times better especially under sodium lamps!!!! Decent set of wheels makes all the difference as well,
                Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

go on you know you want to
                  Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

IMHO go for a drive in a 3rd Gen 3 litre. The prices have really fallen in the last few months.
                    You could always keep your present Surf and use it purely off-road
                    Keith

Comment

Personally, I'd keep it and work on it. Never could understand
                      the 3L fetish that some have. 2.4 works fine, has enough
                      power, (unless you're in to real heavy duty towing, I suppose),
                      and is fast enough for general everyday use. With the work you
                      have already had done, you know you have a solid base to work
                      from. Also, yours is the most desirable colour.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
                        Personally, I'd keep it and work on it. Never could understand
                        the 3L fetish that some have.
                        Hehe, stop living in denial.

Dare you to test drive a 3.0, you'll change your tune.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

My 2.4 is driving awsomely well after removing the back box and making the exhaust a side exit. It seems to fly up hills like never before and I don't get any diesel fumes in through the tailgate window when it is open. I am a happy bunny with my 2.4.
                          It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
                            ... removing the back box ...
                            whaddayamean? what black box? am I being thick??
                            If you're gonna be a bear... be a Grizzly.

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
                              My 2.4 is driving awsomely well after removing the back box

The small silencer at the rear of the truck.

Comment

Working...
                              X