Opinions please....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by legendgamesmaster
    whaddayamean? what black box? am I being thick??
    He said "back box" not "black box", even tho he did hint at flying, as we all know...Surfs are out of this world, but do still have their wheels firmly on the ground...most of the time
    Is it supposed to sound like this??

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
      My 2.4 is driving awsomely well after removing the back box and making the exhaust a side exit. It seems to fly up hills like never before and I don't get any diesel fumes in through the tailgate window when it is open. I am a happy bunny with my 2.4.
      This sounds interesting Phil, More details please ie where to cut what bends/pipework, does it sound a lot louder,is it OK for the MOT, Where's me hacksaw?
      Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

If you have the money mod it , Its good fun and there is the enjoyment of testing the mods afterwards .And you can spend as much or (in my case on a tight budget)as little....I have fun trying to make the mods as in my snorkel
        Attached Files
        www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Originally posted by ian619
          This sounds interesting Phil, More details please ie where to cut what bends/pipework, does it sound a lot louder,is it OK for the MOT, Where's me hacksaw?
          It was a case of needs must. The truck was due for the MOT and I did not have the pennies to replace the rear section of the exhaust. It had rusted through in the ususal place, the bend over the rear axle, so I just chopped out the rusty 18". Luckily I had bits of a brand new Transit exhaust which was the right diameter but I had to sacrifice the back box. I welded the tranny bits on and boughtit out behind the n/s rear wheel. If anything, the truck runs quieter without it and the turbo seems to spin up more freely.

I tried it with a straight through exhaust and it sounded pants. You could hear the turbo whistling when slowing down.

I am tempted to get some 2" dia pipe, when I get my pipe bender and fab a free-flowing exhaust system.

PS. It passed the MOT with no problems. I'll get some pics.
          It's only a hobby!

Comment

2.5" not better?
            i like the noise of the turbo spinning down anyway
            Tim
            Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Well, thanks for all your views.

I suppose the problem for me is that the first thing I want to do is somehow get hold of more power. The standard wheels on mine look stupid they're so small, but I suspect it would be even more sluggish with bigger ones on.

My last car was a (new) Mini Cooper and my old man has always been a petrolhead and I think that may have rubbed off on me. You can imagine a 2.4 surf may seem a little cumbersome. I have no need to go fast (and don't actually ever really go very fast) but I do like something to happen when I put my foot down (other than a massive wall of noise and a green turbo light coming on). I like the surf for many reasons, but performance is not one of them, and I think all the bobboxes, K&N filters and shorter exhausts in the world will still not get it up to a respectable level of power. I think I can probably cut my losses a bit by accepting I bought the wrong one, writing it off (not physically, Mr Lifesure) and getting one with more poke - it would probably be cheaper than trying to 'tune up' the 2.4.

I'm thinking I could pass the 2.4 onto a loving new home (now it's been 'saved' with a new head, a few bits and pieces and some kind words) and get something with a bit more grunt before I start messing around with it. I was thinking V6 with an LPG conversion. Is that madness? I thought it would be faster, cheaper to run and a lot more fancy? Will it just overheat running on the gas though?

I hate f$$cking overheating.

I would love to keep the 2.4 and just get another, but I live in London and I'm only allowed one parking permit

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                Hehe, stop living in denial.

Dare you to test drive a 3.0, you'll change your tune.

With the way I drive, if I had any more power, I'd be doing
                an Andy whilst going forward.

Comment

helping it breath more easily will help it 'poke' a little better...
                  Fuel remaps, clean injectors, free flow exhaust, etc...

You want the performance, but don't want to use it...?
                  Its a 4x4... its not meant to be quick...

How about an engine transplant... had a very interesting conversation with TonyN yesterday.. and would like to follow up on it...

Plenty of small to large V8's out there.. that will provide loads of performance... and some actually give you a weight loss... over the 2.4...

<distracted ramblings of a Toyota 32v 4.7ltr V8>

I personally like my 2nd Gen 2.4.. stops me from pushing too hard... it gets there in the end... and thankfully the days of setting the cruise control at <edit:considerably in excess of the speed limit> are a distant memory...

Comment

What I mean is I don't care if it tops out at 80 but it would be nice if it was a little more agile. The throttle response is rubbish and when it does finally come to life it does just seem to make a load of noise. I normally back off just to make it shut up.

For a diesel, it seems to have next to no torque and the revs fly up without any feeling of being pulled along. My mum's old D reg cavalier was more fun to drive (although that might be because I was 17 and it wasn't my car ).

I did think about changing the engine when the head went, but it sounded like it was going to cost at least 2 grand and cause me a load of insurance nightmares, so I forgot about it and just got it fixed.

I know it's not meant to be quick, it would just be nice if it drove a bit more like a car without losing all the space and comfort. I can't afford a Cayenne or X5....

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho
                      I know it's not meant to be quick, it would just be nice if it drove a bit more like a car without losing all the space and comfort. I can't afford a Cayenne or X5....
                      Best go and buy a 3 litre, then
                      Peter

I am not a number. I am a FREE MAN!

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
                        It was a case of needs must. The truck was due for the MOT and I did not have the pennies to replace the rear section of the exhaust. It had rusted through in the ususal place, the bend over the rear axle, so I just chopped out the rusty 18". Luckily I had bits of a brand new Transit exhaust which was the right diameter but I had to sacrifice the back box. I welded the tranny bits on and boughtit out behind the n/s rear wheel. If anything, the truck runs quieter without it and the turbo seems to spin up more freely.

I tried it with a straight through exhaust and it sounded pants. You could hear the turbo whistling when slowing down.

I am tempted to get some 2" dia pipe, when I get my pipe bender and fab a free-flowing exhaust system.

PS. It passed the MOT with no problems. I'll get some pics.
                        Cheers Phil! Sounds like something i could do and looking forward to some pics, Those "big bore" stainless exhausts that some people have fitted are they 2" or larger, Just wish i'd bought a tube bender that the blacksmith i worked with had, Sold all his stuff off when he retired, Ian

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho
                          What I mean is I don't care if it tops out at 80 but it would be nice if it was a little more agile. The throttle response is rubbish and when it does finally come to life it does just seem to make a load of noise. I normally back off just to make it shut up.

For a diesel, it seems to have next to no torque and the revs fly up without any feeling of being pulled along. My mum's old D reg cavalier was more fun to drive (although that might be because I was 17 and it wasn't my car ).

I did think about changing the engine when the head went, but it sounded like it was going to cost at least 2 grand and cause me a load of insurance nightmares, so I forgot about it and just got it fixed.

Know what your saying Sancho, I dont need 90+ top end (which it eventually
                          does do), just a bit more on take off, I know these things aint raceing cars and i dont expect it to fly but you drop yer foot, theres a big roar and very little accelleration, Any low cost mods that would improve it a bit would be great, Like the exhaust back box (phil) has done, and soon as i can, new injectors,

Comment

Propane injection is the way to go. I had a ride in a 2.5L Straight 6 BMW Diesel powered Pro Comp truck last weekend. It had propane injection. Sadly I was too sh1t scared to take any pics. The dental bill is going to be massive after doing nearly 90MPH across the furrows.
                            It's only a hobby!

Comment

and soon as i can, new injectors
                              whats the best price you have seen injectors for ian ???
                              Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Working...
                              X