bio heater - blue peter style!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bio heater - blue peter style!

One of the members in a different forum asked about fuel heaters.here's one I made earlier whick may be of interest.
    a photo wont show the internals - but here's a quick drawing to show the genaral idea. all pipe is standard domestic copper 15mm and 22mm & all fittings are solder ring (yorkshire fittings) but you could use endex or endfeed fittings. the whole unit is about 300mm high and 100 wide, all wrapped in Wickes 22mm pipe insulation, and fitted inline before fuel filter.
    by the way - the gap between the inside of the 22 and outside of the 15 (fuel passage is about 2mm - the area of which works out to be a bigger cross sectional area than the original fuel supply pipes - thus no fuel starvation, and because the gap is so small, the fuel is "spread thinner" around heating medium so heats quicker.
    ALWAYS GET AN ADULT TO USE A BLOW TORCH AND SCISSORS!!!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jaky cakes; 20 June 2006, 19:41.
    Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Very good!! One question. Why do you have the fuel line cross piece at the top? Is it just for strength?
    It just does, OK?

Comment

Originally posted by dave.j.robbo
      Very good!! One question. Why do you have the fuel line cross piece at the top? Is it just for strength?
      yes!

probably perfectly strong without - but i'm just very fussy - I even get out of the bath for a sh#t!!

Comment

Originally posted by jaky cakes
        yes!

probably perfectly strong without - but i'm just very fussy - I even get out of the bath for a sh#t!!
        LOL

What a great bit of "here's one I made earlier" for the heater. I'm really getting tempted to switch to veggie the more I read posts like this - the one with the diagram, not the bath!
        Real trucks don't have spark plugs

Comment

Hi like the idea but didn't I read on here some where that the veg oil reacts with the copper or some thing ?

Comment

Originally posted by John McC
            Hi like the idea but didn't I read on here some where that the veg oil reacts with the copper or some thing ?
            Unfortunately, copper would appear to have a catalytic effect
            on SVO/WVO. As to whether the reaction is fast enough to affect
            fuel for the short period whilst it is in the heat exchanger, hard to
            say. However, the main source of info in this regard is distillery
            based, which would appear to suggest that it is, as even on short
            runs, catalysis of certain compounds is noted, which is why copper
            tubing is still used in stills, as it removes some of the undesirable
            tastes from the finished product. With regards to oil, the noted
            effects are more along the lines of separation and globules forming
            in the oil, which can further impact fuel filter clogging. Also,
            something along the lines of an accelerated verdi gris? effect upon
            the copper itself.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
              Unfortunately, copper would appear to have a catalytic effect
              on SVO/WVO. As to whether the reaction is fast enough to affect
              fuel for the short period whilst it is in the heat exchanger, hard to
              say. However, the main source of info in this regard is distillery
              based, which would appear to suggest that it is, as even on short
              runs, catalysis of certain compounds is noted, which is why copper
              tubing is still used in stills, as it removes some of the undesirable
              tastes from the finished product. .

My veg oil tastes great - although the flavour is enhanced with a shot of white spirits!!!

seriously though - I've had mine on now for 9 months or so and recently removed it to gain access for fuel filter change - as far as I could see, the inside was clear.
              I suppose if one is wary of copper and oil -the whole assembly could be dipped in a suitable lacquer or varnish to coat all surfaces prior to use , or even use plastic pipe with polyplumb fittings. I think a guy on ebay was flogging something similar (in plastic pipe) for £40 not so long back.
              may be worth pricing the bits.

Comment

I would rather use plastic like? But it does'nt hard to make something along those lines? I take it you just need to heat the oil if your using pure veg oil? Is the diesel mixed with oil ok to leave un-heated?
                What comes around goes around!!

Comment

sorry to but in

If you intend to make one of these you will have to purchase 2 off 22x22x15mm (the branch measurement is always last) tees 2 off 22x15x15mm tees and two 15mm + 22mm elbows.

and I know a very nice place to buy them from if you like too.

Cheers
                  Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Gazbo
                    I would rather use plastic like? But it does'nt hard to make something along those lines? I take it you just need to heat the oil if your using pure veg oil? Is the diesel mixed with oil ok to leave un-heated?
                    I pour the veg and derv in the same tank and just heat the whole lot together.
                    If this exchanger idea seems a bit too much trouble - why not try the renault heated filter approach - cost about £10 from your local scr@p yard. this unit would then replace your existing fuel filter and heat it at the same time. The only thing you have to do is removed the inbuilt thermostat located behind the bottom brass connector ( bottom left in picture). this will allow coolant to flow through unit continuously.
                    here is one I made earlier....again....
                    bought it - stripped and cleaned it - painted it - tested it - then gave it to a friend to try - never got it back and made a new one....
                    Attached Files

Comment

Shouldn't that be:

Then gave it to an ex-friend to try?

Comment

So it should still be pre heated?

Comment

Originally posted by Gazbo
                          So it should still be pre heated?
                          Heating is always preferable. Certain ratios will allow use
                          unheated, but the viscosity and combustion characteristics
                          differ from pure diesel. However, a 20/80 mix, (SVO/diesel),
                          for example, should work perfectly well whether heated or
                          not.

Comment

reet!! so what heating tools are you guys using? I have seen some, but there must be a prefferance

Comment

Working...
                            X