• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weekend tinkering

I had a bit of a crack at the big fella over the weekend. Jobs done:

1. Reasonably tasteful bonnet vents
    2. Replacement steering wheel
    3. Fixed sticking speedo and changed the face (same thing as it happens)
    4. Replaced aerial
    5. New thermostat and rad cap (whilst I had oil on my hands)
    6. Moved front number plate in front of bumper to increase airflow.

For the vent perverts among us, the big one is a scoop from a Trooper TD mounted backwards. The little ones are generic rubbish off ebay. I made the holes with a nibbler attachment on a drill (best tool ever) and it was a doddle. Even kept the bonnet on (with a duvet underneath). Obviously I need to sort out the paint and a few bits and pieces, but you get the idea. The spare bonnet was not necessary (apart from spare fixings for the soundproofing) so anyone that wants it, it'll be 41 quid (the cost from TonyN plus a premium for climbing around his garden unattended and getting barked at a lot ). Do the vents work? Don't know. The temp still goes a little above half way over 70 and drops back down when you lift off, but I don't know if that's normal (does anyone?). It certainly cools quicker when you stop and you can feel air coming through when you're stopped.

Steering wheel was a fiver off ebay. It's off a Mk2 MR2. No boss kit, no nothing, just undo the nut and stick it on. And it feels nothing like a padded toilet seat.

If anyone needs the old speedo face (kph, now I took the sticker off...), let me know and I'll post it.

I think there's some of the nylon stuff stuck in the aerial motor (none came out) but the new one at least goes up and down a bit.

I still have the side vents from a BMW Z3 to put on when I'm feeling particularly gaudy.
    Attached Files

nice! is the trooper vent off ebay too?
    it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt
      nice! is the trooper vent off ebay too?
      Yeah, it was, I am no longer aware of any other shops. 35 quid I think. Not cheap, but less than most brand new ones and a bit more subtle I thought. Just because I grew up in Essex, doesn't mean I want an advert on my bonnet.

The guy I got it from seems kind of like Milners for Troopers:

www.makingtracks4x4.co.uk

Comment

im thinking a trooper vent is best - where you get it...?
        Tim
        Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Nice job m8, lets be havin a pic of the steering wheel! Still waiting for someone to buy me a Momo for my birthday
          Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

excuse the daft question but why did you put the vent on backwards instead of forwards?
            would it not have cooled it better forwards?
            at the end of the day................ it gets dark

Comment

Originally posted by shaggy
              excuse the daft question but why did you put the vent on backwards instead of forwards?
              I think the idea is the air goes in the front and out the top taking the heat away a bit better than it would without the vent, I think?
              Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by shaggy
                beat me to it! looks cool though... I have some silly stuck on rubber vents on my bonnet (previous owner) so might look at replacing them with something a little more substantial now!
                I got me a new Surf baby yeah!

Comment

If you have an intercooler then face it forward , if not fit as done . The air needs to flow out from the engine bay easier and that is down by facing backwards . Also helps defrost windsceen in winter !
                  Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by ian619
                    Nice job m8, lets be havin a pic of the steering wheel! Still waiting for someone to buy me a Momo for my birthday
                    Oh, it's nothing really . Seriously though, just wanted one that didn't disgust me everytime I touched it. It was cheap and the Toyota badge makes it look kind of original (indicator cancel and horn work too). Just need to do something with the grey plastic round the column now.

(Pain in the @rse trying to resize the picture but you get it, no doubt)
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
                      If you have an intercooler then face it forward , if not fit as done . The air needs to flow out from the engine bay easier and that is down by facing backwards . Also helps defrost windsceen in winter !
                      Might also chuck oil all over the screen, we will see.

Comment

nice to know mr2 wheel is a straight swap, it was wasn,t it? i have a horrible light coloured wood thing and now the horn button keeps flying out and hitting me in the chest

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho
                          Might also chuck oil all over the screen, we will see.
                          I've had my vents fitted for two years now, and so far no oily windscreen.

Comment

Originally posted by jamsironwork
                            nice to know mr2 wheel is a straight swap, it was wasn,t it? i have a horrible light coloured wood thing and now the horn button keeps flying out and hitting me in the chest
                            LOL.

Yeah, a 100% straight swap. Took about one minute. I just got the list of steering wheel bosses posted by davej.robbo (http://www.upgrademotoring.com/seats.../momo_hubs.htm) when he posted about his new wheel and had a think. If all use the same boss kit, all must be the same, so just remembered what ones used the same kit and scoured ebay for one. Sorted.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho
                              The spare bonnet was not necessary (apart from spare fixings for the soundproofing) so anyone that wants it, it'll be 41 quid (the cost from TonyN plus a premium for climbing around his garden unattended and getting barked at a lot ).
                              Yeah, sorry about that, I forgot to get it out the back of the pickup for you, Linda went looking for it later, but she couldn't find it!!!! Then we worked out you must have already come and got it!

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
                              X