Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tyre tread, popped off.

Hay people? how are you all?
    had a bit of a fright last Sunday, me and my girlfriend were driving back from Bristol near the Gloucestershire junction when.... sudenly we heard a bit of a BANG, so pulled into the hard shoulder and checked out my Surf, but could not find anything wrong, so we carried on, doing about 50mph, when, the back wheels locked up putting me into a skid down the M5, managed to skid onto the hard shoulder. looked at the back and found that the hole of my tyre tread had come off and had wrapped around my back axel!
    the tyre was still up, but the tread had come off the the top of the tyre!
    so I called the AA, and took me home. the bloke said he had never seen it before on a car, but only on big articks, you know, when you see bits of tyre on the side of the motor way. He reaconed it was dew to the tyres over heeting and expanding. WoW11
    but dont worry ,we both ok.
    jerry

What tyre make and size?
    Lucky it was the back!!

Comment

Remould type problem.

Comment

Originally posted by madcampbell
        What tyre make and size?
        Lucky it was the back!!
        The back tyre can be worse then the front tyre going as it can throw the vehicle side ways and possible roll ! Front can be controlled by the steering , usually .
        Must have been an old tyre from the 'homeland'
        Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
          Remould type problem.
          I hate remoulds and wouldnt put one on a pram let alone my car
          They can go fast, I can go anywhere.

Comment

the tyre was a new 15, Dunlop. it could have been a spare, but i`am not sure.
            it also took out my rear fog light that is fitted on to my bumper and put it all over the M5. the police how were not far behind me wanted to know if we would like them th shut off part of the M5, so we could change the tyre, as it was the back drivers side, mmmmmmmmmm tempting. But got pulled off the M5 buy the AA. Jod done.
            jerry

Comment

Shut off the M5? How unusual! Give us a wave next time you pass Malvern.
              Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by jeremyprice
                the tyre was a new 15, Dunlop. it could have been a spare, but i`am not sure.
                it also took out my rear fog light that is fitted on to my bumper and put it all over the M5. the police how were not far behind me wanted to know if we would like them th shut off part of the M5, so we could change the tyre, as it was the back drivers side, mmmmmmmmmm tempting. But got pulled off the M5 buy the AA. Jod done.

New but could have been a spare?

If it was new talk to dunlop and get a report off the AA bloke and the police.
                I used to have a surf me!

Comment

In all my years in the trade, and a quite a bit of those years on the recovery trucks, i have never come across this on a genunie tyre, just remoulds
                  What comes around goes around!!

Comment

i had 2 tyres go on a trailer in one day (last time we went to brick kiln farm!)

one was a remould and shredded - it looked horrible. i never buy them, it was on already.
                    the other was an Avon commercial tyre which shed its casing like yours... scary thing was we didnt notice till we got home and had been running on the steel belt down the M11!
                    Tim
                    Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Tread separation is what caused all the problems between Firestone and Ford in the US.
                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firesto...re_controversy

Comment

You could write to Dunlop, but you'd have to tread carefully. I don't think they'd rubber stamp a compensation claim, especially if you ask for an over inflated amount. Probably all just fall flat in the end!

Comment

Pmsl
                          What comes around goes around!!

Comment

Had something very similar happen on an old company car... Rover something or other, brand new Dunlops... and blocks of the tread started pinging off.... didn't notice, an couldn't hear it until I got a zinging sound coming from teh rear of the car... both rears, and the metal wire was zinging around the rear wheel arch.. trouble was we had just come out of Chamonix and were heading down to Orange... Dunlop didn't even bother reaponding to my letters...

Comment

Working...
                            X