Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new gadget...

http://www.sailgb.com/p/sunsei_se135...ry_maintainer/

handy little solar charger. plugs in via the cigarette lighter or by clips directly onto the battery terminals. i'll probably need to rewire the cig lighter so it is running from an 'always on' positive as opposed to an ignition positive, but until I do that I can still use the clips.

just one of those things I hope I never have to use, but will be very thankful for if I do!

(I came back to airport carpark to find I had left my lights on not long ago and it was a bit of a pain in the ****!)
    I got me a new Surf baby yeah!

Before you connect to your ciggy socket check to see if you have volts on the socket without the ignition on if not you will either have to put a second socket into the car or run it direct to the battery itself.. They also dont like it up em so make sure you disconnect the cell before you start the car up...

It will take forever to bring a battery up from a discharged state and at 2watts thats along time indead,so dont rely on it. This is an ideal thing if you intend to stand the car up while you are on holiday and you have an alarm running but its not the complete answer to a battery problem.

2 watts will give you something like 100mh of charge in full direct sunlight not filtered by glass of a car
    Last edited by mark g8awo; 16 June 2006, 20:26.
    Im not a gynacologist but ill have a look

Comment

Originally posted by mooter
      http://www.sailgb.com/p/sunsei_se135...ry_maintainer/

handy little solar charger. plugs in via the cigarette lighter or by clips directly onto the battery terminals. i'll probably need to rewire the cig lighter so it is running from an 'always on' positive as opposed to an ignition positive, but until I do that I can still use the clips.

just one of those things I hope I never have to use, but will be very thankful for if I do!

(I came back to airport carpark to find I had left my lights on not long ago and it was a bit of a pain in the ****!)

Nice Gadget, whats the MAH output in Direct sunlight? Could be worth loooking at for topping up my field charging battery for my electric aircraft.

How much was it?
      I used to have a surf me!

Comment

Originally posted by phoebelala
        Nice Gadget, whats the MAH output in Direct sunlight? Could be worth loooking at for topping up my field charging battery for my electric aircraft.

How much was it?
        it delivers 135 mA @ 15V. it was £30 inc P+P from the site I linked to. I don't actually have a battery problem, it's more for getting enough charge in to kick the starter over should I have left my lights on for a while

also be handy to have plugged in when I'm away with the truck.. I tend to use more battery power with the stereo and stuff.

I'd like to fit a leisure battery one day.... anyone done it? easy? expensive?

oh, the cable is 4ft long too and it can be permanently mounted outside. stick one on your garage roof and have it charge the battery while it's parked up.
        I got me a new Surf baby yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by mark g8awo

2 watts will give you something like 100mh of charge in full direct sunlight not filtered by glass of a car
          A 'mh'? Wassat then?
          Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

I have one of them in my surf as i dont use the car for days at a time although it would never be able to charge a low battery it helps keeping the charge up longer than if the vehicle was just sitting without one.
            They can go fast, I can go anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by mooter
              it delivers 135 mA @ 15V. it was £30 inc P+P from the site I linked to. I don't actually have a battery problem, it's more for getting enough charge in to kick the starter over should I have left my lights on for a while

also be handy to have plugged in when I'm away with the truck.. I tend to use more battery power with the stereo and stuff.

I'd like to fit a leisure battery one day.... anyone done it? easy? expensive?

oh, the cable is 4ft long too and it can be permanently mounted outside. stick one on your garage roof and have it charge the battery while it's parked up.

Oh Dear, at 135 MA it would take 2 days just to charge one of my flight batteries. To charge the field battery (car batt) would take over 2 months assuming it never got dark and we had 24 hour sunshine which in this country is pretty unlikley

"don't leave your lights on"

Al.
              Last edited by phoebelala; 17 June 2006, 05:43.

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
                A 'mh'? Wassat then?

Talkin of field charger, I use a pro peak prodigy 2, superb bit of kit, does lipo's as well as nicd nimh and of course lead acid.

Comment

Oh Dear, at 135 MA it would take 2 days just to charge one of my flight batteries. To charge the field battery (car batt) would take over 2 months assuming it never got dark and we had 24 hour sunshine which in this country is pretty unlikley

"don't leave your lights on"

Al.
                  Glad to see I'm not the only sad sod on the forum at this hour.
                  These chargers primary function tends to be to maintain enough
                  of a charge to retain ECU settings. It's like the plugs you can insert
                  in the socket during battery removal for the same purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
                    Glad to see I'm not the only sad sod on the forum at this hour.
                    These chargers primary function tends to be to maintain enough
                    of a charge to retain ECU settings. It's like the plugs you can insert
                    in the socket during battery removal for the same purpose.

Yeah...
                    I don't sleep much, had only 3 hours on thursday night and about 5 hours last night. Its now 7.05 and i have just been out to the field to install a new drive belt on a grass cutting tractor..........time for breakfast!

Al.

Comment

Talkin of field charger, I use a pro peak prodigy 2, superb bit of kit, does lipo's as well as nicd nimh and of course lead acid.
                      I use one of them too. The only reasonably priced charger to have!
                      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

I need to finish my portable wind powered generator project. I only started it about six years ago. It is designed to charge at a much higher rate and keep a caravan leasure battery topped up while away at the beach etc. I wound the fixed generator coils myself and mounted them and the magnets inside a Renault wheel hub. It would look a bit odd on the roof of a Surf though!
                        Has anybody seen the site with the hybrid Suzuki Carry van? It has a small diesel that runs on vegoil, solar panels and a wind generator on a pneumatic mast to charge up the traction batteries when it is parked. Very eccentric but fair play to them.
                        It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
                          I wound the fixed generator coils myself and mounted them and the magnets inside a Renault wheel hub. It would look a bit odd on the roof of a Surf though!
                          Otherpower inspired, by any chance?

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
                            Otherpower inspired, by any chance?
                            Of course
                            It's only a hobby!

Comment

Working...
                            X