Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should i buy a surf?

Hey Guys,

Bear with me, i'm new to buying jap imports so if i say some stupid things, tell me i'm stupid. I'm thinking about buying a surf (not stupid so far, but could get worse!). It's a 3.0 td manual, oct 97, not sure of the particular variation although there is no scoop on the hood so it's not intercooled. It's a fresh import, only came into the uk about 2 months ago so is still registered to the importer. Its got 71k km on he clock which i didn;t think was bad for the age (about 40k miles i believe?)

I noticed a few posts on the heads cracking, is this something i should be looking out for?

Can anybody give me any advice on what faults are likely to have already arisen with it? or what knd of spec is good for the price?

It's up for £10,995, cd player, mini disc, air con. I currently have a vauxhall omega elite 3.0 v6 auto with all the toys and more. This surf didn't seem as loaded as the omega. Are there any very high spec surfs around?

Cheers
    Paul

Originally posted by paulkelly
    Hey Guys,

Bear with me, i'm new to buying jap imports so if i say some stupid things, tell me i'm stupid. I'm thinking about buying a surf (not stupid so far, but could get worse!). It's a 3.0 td manual, oct 97, not sure of the particular variation although there is no scoop on the hood so it's not intercooled. It's a fresh import, only came into the uk about 2 months ago so is still registered to the importer. Its got 71k km on he clock which i didn;t think was bad for the age (about 40k miles i believe?)

I noticed a few posts on the heads cracking, is this something i should be looking out for?

Can anybody give me any advice on what faults are likely to have already arisen with it? or what knd of spec is good for the price?

It's up for £10,995, cd player, mini disc, air con. I currently have a vauxhall omega elite 3.0 v6 auto with all the toys and more. This surf didn't seem as loaded as the omega. Are there any very high spec surfs around?

Cheers
    Paul
    budget for changing the stereo cos the radio won't pick up a signal over here!

they're all around the same spec... air con, electric windows/mirrors
    some have a wood dash and sports seats... shop around as there is a leather option (rare) but from what i've seen on here you can't judge the spec by the model... ssr, ssr-x, ssr-g etc
    ssr-g is supposedly the top spec, but with all the options available they're all different

i'm still looking out for the crawler, with tracks instead of wheels!
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

You are ok with a 3 litre

It is only a minority of the 2.4TD's that have a head problem. The 3 litres are all ok (apart from the normal run of the mill head problems that any engine can suffer).

As for toys, maybe Vauxhaull considered that the Omega was such a bore to drive that they fitted a load of non-driving related junk to make it look as though you were enjoying yourself?

Don't know about the price though, you could import one yourself for a lot less (see www.hitenter.co.uk go to the motoring link and click on the animated racing car).

It depends whether you need that 'guaranty' and peace of mind I guess?

Welcome to the forum, you will find it an incredible reference tool for the best 4 x 4 in the world. I love mine!

Cheers

Rob G

Comment

DO IT!!!!

But seriously... The overheating and head cracking only affects some of the 2.4TDs, not the 3.0. Trim levels range from SSR-V, SSR-X, SSR-X Limited and SSR-G (top) but with so many options available the level doesn't really mean a lot. Some of them have sat nav and tv but none of this works in the UK. Most ppl just junk it and replace it with a UK spec radio, if the dealer hasn't already.
        The price is probably around average for dealers but they do make a good margin out of them. I got about £650 off the dealer price of mine.
        Essentially, just make the same checks that you'd make for any vehicle that age.

Comment

Originally posted by paulkelly

Can anybody give me any advice on what faults are likely to have already arisen with it?
          Theres no notable problem of 3ltrs with cracked heads, only 2.4s.

Heres the writeup from TonyN's site of the introduction of the 3rd gen US 4runner in '96. I've deleted anything which is American related only and I reckon the rest should apply across the Surf range too but maybe not...
          1996 3rd Generation Toyota introduces the third-generation 4Runner. The 4Runner receives a complete redesign for 1996 which includes all new engines, chassis, interior and exterior styling, enhanced safety equipment and added utility. It is the first 4Runner to not share either body panels or a frame with Toyota's compact pickup trucks. The new chassis is stiffer for improved steering feel and more precise suspension travel, and is two inches longer to increase wheelbase for a more stable ride. Front suspension is a coil spring with double wishbone design replacing the previous Hi-Trac system, which resulted in greater wheel travel and ride comfort. Suspension travel has increased 1.5-inches improving off-road performance while tread width has been increased by 0.8-inches for enhanced steering stability and ride comfort. Rear suspension travel has increased by 1.6-inches, with tread width jumping from 58-inches to 58.9-inches (models with 16-inch wheels have 59.4-inch). The 4Runner also features an optional Locking Rear Differential with a 4.300 rear differential. When the system is engaged, 4Runner's rear wheels receive equal torque, providing maximum power transfer in severe, poor-traction conditions. Steering feel and response have been improved in 4Runner by replacing the recirculating ball-type steering with rack and pinion steering. Rubber mounted bushings are used to attach the steering gearbox to 4Runner's frame optimizing steering feel and decreasing vibration. Four-wheel anti-lock brakes (ABS) are standard ??? (not sure , Jim) Anti-corrosion and high-tensile steel are used in key areas of 4Runner to improve resistance to rust and dents. 4Runner's inner and outer door panels are formed as a single integrated part which maintains the rigidity of the belt line, the sealing performance of the weather stripping, and reduces wind noise. The bumper valance cover and cowl have been constructed of resins which eliminate the incidence of paint peeling and rust caused by chipping. A soft-chip primer has been applied to the front edge of the hood and bumpers to help prevent paint damage also due to chipping. Floor panel divisions have been decreased from four to three flange fittings while the front side member parts have been integrated and the flange fittings drastically reduced, all of which improves rust resistance and appearance. The rear door has been re-engineered from a two-piece tailgate type to a one-piece lift-up configuration for improved ease of use. Driver- and passenger-side mirror surfaces have been increased for better visibility. 4Runner's aero-type halogen headlights also were enlarged to provide greater illumination. A tilt-up function has been added to the conventional sliding moonroof to maximize interior air circulation, and the center high-mount stop light is integrated into the roof line. The interior is larger in every direction, thanks to a wheelbase that is two inches longer than the previous version. A lower floor and wider doors make getting into and out of the 4Runner less of an exercise in contortionism. Rear leg room is up by three inches, and cargo space has been improved as well. New for the redesigned 4Runner is a tonneau cargo cover. The cover is divided into two sections so the cargo area can be concealed regardless if the second seat is upright or in the folded position. Several features have been engineered into the 4Runner's steering column and instrument panel area, including the addition of a standard driver- and passenger-side airbag safety restraint system (SRS). Also, the cruise control switches have been relocated to a separate lever instead of embedded in the steering wheel. Instrumentation has been rearranged for better visibility and a door ajar warning light has been added. Special attention was given to 4Runner's center console design. Increased capacity of the console box allows for storage of eight CD's or cassettes and serves as a new location for the parking brake, formally located on the dash. Also integrated into the rear console box are dual 20-ounce cupholders. In addition to constructing a vent for the driver-side footwell, cosmetic improvements have been made to the air conditioning system and control panel. A newly adopted Defroster Mode switch improves the air conditioning performance by operating on defroster mode but turning off when the blower switch is used. To more precisely control the temperature mix of the rear heater, the rear heater lever "throw" is extended by 1.2-inches and the air ducts relocated from the center console to the floor for more uniform air flow. 4Runner's front and rear door panels have been redesigned with continuous molded speakers and pockets, and fabric covered armrests.The rear speakers have been moved from the cargo area in the previous generation up to the rear doors to enhance rear seat sound quality. Tweeters for the six-speaker system are located at the door-mirror area resulting in improved high frequency sound performance. . Safety hasn't been ignored in the revamped 4Runner, which sports dual airbags and three-point ALR/ELR seatbelts in all outboard positions (ELR seatbelts only on driver seat), center high-mount stop-light and adjustable seatbelt anchors, improved side-view mirrors, front and rear side-impact beams, child protector rear door locks. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 1997
          End of article

A reminder to say that all the above relates to the Surfs sister ship the American 4runner. But engines aside seen as their's are petrol 4 and 6 cylinders, almost all of the other stuff on these two are identical, if you dont mind the left hand drive. It might give you some detail anyway. Also I see no mention of it in the article but I'm fairly sure 3rd gens enjoy the option of 4wd on tarmac which wasnt a good idea with earlier models.

Comment

A reminder to say that all the above relates to the Surfs sister ship the American 4runner. But engines aside seen as their's are petrol 4 and 6 cylinders, almost all of the other stuff on these two are identical, if you dont mind the left hand drive. It might give you some detail anyway. Also I see no mention of it in the article but I'm fairly sure 3rd gens enjoy the option of 4wd on tarmac which wasnt a good idea with earlier models.

yeah, the 3rd gen has a centre diff so you can engage 4wd on tarmac and the front and rear axles are independant of each other... good idea if you have baldified tyres like me!
            nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by JimL
              ........... Also I see no mention of it in the article but I'm fairly sure 3rd gens enjoy the option of 4wd on tarmac which wasnt a good idea with earlier models...........

That's an option the US 4Runner only got later on, around 2000 I think. Prior to that the system used in the 3rd Gen 4R for the US was similar to the 2nd Gen. Only us SURF owners got that gizmo to play with first.
              Maurice
              Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Buy one!