Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing air-con now

Hi all,

In the process of removing my air-con now, couple of quick questions.

1) While i've got the front end apart i want to wash my radiator, is it okay to jet wash it or is this potentially damaging? The bottom half is completely caked in mud. What's the best way to do it?

2) There's what appears to be a small air/water hose to the fans on the air con rad, going up to somewhere near the n/s battery and airbox i tried to trace it but the top end was already disconnected, should i reconnect it somewhere? or just leave it off?

3) Should i remove the rest of the system, i have taken the rad and fan's off but i will probably want to re-use the compressor for an air system in the future.

Probably should have asked these before i started doing it but never mind.

Cheers for your advice guys!
    =========
    =SOLD UP!=
    =========

If you rad is really caked in dried mud, try soaking it with a normal hose pipe to soften the mud before using the pressure washer. Use the pressure washer from a distance of no less than two feet away from the rad.

I've removed all my air-con gubbins too. just remove anything you can see connected with the air con.

Comment

the pipe is just a breather so chop it/ leave it as you like. pressure washer might be too strong for the rad and flatten the fins. did this on mine last year, i left all the gubbins under the dash in place cosit looked like a lot of hassle. i am thinking about putting the fans and the surround off the aircon rad back in with a manual switch for those 'awkward moments'...to move some air over the trans cooler that now lives there....
      it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Well it's now successfuly off, just gotta work out the best thing to do with the electrics for the fans coz they're trapped between the chassis and the main rad shroud. Anyone noticed how the number plate seems to block air from the bottom third of the rad, i think the standard atf coolers behind there aswell, attached to / part of the bottom of the radiator? Could this explain why my atf keeps cooking? Going to the jet wash now to clean off everything else under there while the bash plate's out the way.
        =========
        =SOLD UP!=
        =========

Comment

while you have got it all apart, mightas well change the transmission fluid as well. its doesnt like getting cooked
          it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt
            while you have got it all apart, mightas well change the transmission fluid as well. its doesnt like getting cooked
            Once you have cooked it how is it served ? how do you carve it ? does it need seasoning ?

Trev
            Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Should be ok, it was only changed wednesday an i've only done about 30k since then.

Besides the time could be spent removing the anti roll bars and jacking up the torsion bar a bit. The ATF'll be ok till i get an aftermarket cooler and work out where to fit it...

...I think
              =========
              =SOLD UP!=
              =========

Comment

After much deliberation, and scratching of head etc. I have come to the conclusion that jacking up the torsion bars is a two man job, or at least a one man that knows what he's doing job. not an amateur who likes to tinker on his own without doing any research first. and the anti roll bar mounts have hade a good dose of WD-40 to see if that helps loosen the bolts at all.

Time for a beer and put the car back together, well at least til tomorrow, methinks.

Thanks for your help and advice again guys.
                =========
                =SOLD UP!=
                =========

Comment

To adjust the torsion bars, jack up your truck so that both front wheels are off the ground use axel stands for safety, get yourself a 22mm socket and a long handle and turn the bolt in a clockwise direction, one full turn, the exact same amount each side. (I put a dab of white paint on the bolt as a reference point)

Comment

Working...
                  X