MOT failure Advice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOT failure Advice.

Hi MY surf failed the MOT today on the back brakes not working at all including the handbrake. So I brought it home and began to strip down the brakes got the first drum off and voila cylinder not moving whatsoever.
    Was about to start stripping it down when I thought id just see if there was any fluid present. No fluid. Went underneath and bled the junction box thing then bled both back brake cylinders and I now have back brakes. The question is I have had the surf for just over 4 months and have always thought the brakes a bit $$$$ is it possible the back brakes have never worked since having it or what could cause the air to get in the system slowly and gradually without any movement in the fluid level?
    It also failed on the fog light not working however that was due to the tester not flicking the correct switch even after telling him which it was before leaving it.
    Trust your Hound.

I had a maverick before my surf. The brakes were always a bit, mmm??? Anyway, the bloke i bought it off had some muppet do the pipes, well it was a propper $$$$ job! So a year later i redone them in my spare time. The brakes were class, they had not bled them properly! Have your pipes been changed? or cylinders?
    What comes around goes around!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gazbo
      I had a maverick before my surf. The brakes were always a bit, mmm??? Anyway, the bloke i bought it off had some muppet do the pipes, well it was a propper $$$$ job! So a year later i redone them in my spare time. The brakes were class, they had not bled them properly! Have your pipes been changed? or cylinders?
      Brakes are supposed to have been uprated???????
      Trust your Hound.

Comment

Hmm, they may have been, but just not bled properly, its such a common fault!
        Oh, and it should not have failed on front fog! They can only test driving lights or front fogs if a tell tail light comes on the dash. It is legal to have spot lights on the car wether they work or not, they are not for road use! Or do you have fogs on the front? If they are fogs, then you need a tell tail!

Comment

Hmm, they may have been, but just not bled properly, its such a common fault!
          Oh, and it should not have failed on front fog! They can only test driving lights or front fogs if a tell tail light comes on the dash. It is legal to have spot lights on the car wether they work or not, they are not for road use! Or do you have fogs on the front? If they are fogs, then you need a tell tail!
          Failed on rear fog but he was throwing the front spots switch which aint there no more so he thought it wasnt working he also said the colour of the interior warning light should be yellow.
          Trust your Hound.

Comment

balls, it does not matter as long as it lights up. That is assuming you have it wired through your dipped beam fuse? If you just have it wired direct to batt, then fair enough, it should be yellow. Otherwise, well its obvious, its called a tell tail because when you have your dipped on then the fog light tell tail comes on? Unless the DVLA have changed the law in the last three year?

Comment

Anybody got any thoughts on the brakes thing???
              Trust your Hound.

Comment

balls, it does not matter as long as it lights up. That is assuming you have it wired through your dipped beam fuse? If you just have it wired direct to batt, then fair enough, it should be yellow. Otherwise, well its obvious, its called a tell tail because when you have your dipped on then the fog light tell tail comes on? Unless the DVLA have changed the law in the last three year?
                As far as I understood the regs, the colour of the telltale is irrelevant?
                As long as there is a visual indication, it doesn't even need to be a
                light. A legend plate would theoretically class as a telltale. Or have I
                misinterpreted?

Comment

As long as there is an indication that the fog light is working that is all that is required. Front fog lights are not part of the MOT test.

Comment

Working...
                  X