WD40 Question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WD40 Question...

I was once told that if you spray WD40 all over the underside of your car it would act as a very good rust retardant/water repellent.

Now, that seemed fairly obvious, but wouldn't it get washed off easily? Before I go out and buy a bucketful, has anyone tried this?

Thanks,

Shab.
    Carpe Biscalorum...

Originally posted by Shab
    I was once told that if you spray WD40 all over the underside of your car it would act as a very good rust retardant/water repellent.

Now, that seemed fairly obvious, but wouldn't it get washed off easily? Before I go out and buy a bucketful, has anyone tried this?

Thanks,

Shab.

WD stands for Water Displacement so yes, it will eliminate water from the area of application BUT its way too easy to wash off and as an undersealer not to be recommended. Use Schultz or waxoyl instead. You can buy a pressure applicator and do it yourself.

Al.
    I used to have a surf me!

Comment

i've not heard that one, but i have been told old engine oil does the job, but i can't see that being true unless its thickened up somehow and then brushed on?
      i swear, it was like that when i got here...

Comment

Why not use waxoil? Roughly same price per litre,
        and waxoil is far thicker.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
          Why not use waxoil? Roughly same price per litre,
          and waxoil is far thicker.

I've seen posts about Waxoil. Is it easy to apply?

I haven't got access to a pit/ramps. Thats why the WD40 idea appealed because it's a spray.
          Carpe Biscalorum...

Comment

Waxoyl comes in a spray!
            www.europa88.co.uk Loadsa mods!

Comment

Originally posted by europa88
              Waxoyl comes in a spray!

I knew that......

Just checkin'.......
              Carpe Biscalorum...

Comment

Originally posted by Shab
                I've seen posts about Waxoil. Is it easy to apply?

I haven't got access to a pit/ramps. Thats why the WD40 idea appealed because it's a spray.
                Waxoil comes in spray cans about £6 each or can be bought in 1litre containers for application by spray gun (Schutz Gun) £3.50 if you have a compressor. or in 5litre cans for about £18. It can be applied by a hand spray if warmed enough before application. Did mine without a ramp or pit just crawled about underneath. It is quite a dirty job though due to spray falling down and is best done wearing some form of breathing mask so as not to inhale the spray pick a nice dry day shouldnt take more than a couple of hours. 1 litre should do about 3-4 sq metres depending how thick you want it on.
                Trust your Hound.

Comment

Originally posted by Taliesins
                  Waxoil comes in spray cans about £6 each or can be bought in 1litre containers for application by spray gun (Schutz Gun) £3.50 if you have a compressor. or in 5litre cans for about £18. It can be applied by a hand spray if warmed enough before application. Did mine without a ramp or pit just crawled about underneath. It is quite a dirty job though due to spray falling down and is best done wearing some form of breathing mask so as not to inhale the spray pick a nice dry day shouldnt take more than a couple of hours. 1 litre should do about 3-4 sq metres depending how thick you want it on.

Thanks mate...
                  Carpe Biscalorum...

Comment

gonna jet wash the bottom first then waxoil the bottom once its dry,
                    can you use one of those garden pump up sprays ???
                    another job thats been on my list for a hot day lolyes: :
                    Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Originally posted by joker??
                      gonna jet wash the bottom first then waxoil the bottom once its dry,
                      can you use one of those garden pump up sprays ???
                      another job thats been on my list for a hot day lolyes: :
                      Yes you can. Stand the tin of Waxoyl in hot water for a while before you use it to make it thinner. (No smart arse remarks, it makes the Waxoyl thinner, not the tin! )

Comment

yeh but

Originally posted by Pete
                        Yes you can. Stand the tin of Waxoyl in hot water for a while before you use it to make it thinner. (No smart arse remarks, it makes the Waxoyl thinner, not the tin! )
                        who wants thin hot water?
                        Did I mention I have a BLUE one
                        Tony

Comment

Originally posted by fatfires
                          who wants thin hot water?
                          It gets into those hard to reach places
                          www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

A bit wire brush is better then washing it! Not only can you get straight on with the job, but it also scores the parts to be sprayed, thus makes the bond even better
                            What comes around goes around!!

Comment

WD-40 is a good short term solution until you get the time to do it properly. Waxoil is better if you use it inside the chassis using a compressor and an undersealing gun. Use Schultz for the external chassis components and the underside of the truck. I will be doing mine sometime soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X