how do I check the rad levels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do I check the rad levels

Stupid question, but how do you check the level of fluid in the rad/cooling system, in the book it says you do it via the expansion bottle, which is ok but I cant see how this gets into the rad.

thanks colin
    SWIFT AND BOLD

Have a look under the rad cap?

Comment

The level in the expansion bottle is to make sure the overflow pipe from the main radiator stays below the level of the outlet pipe so that it can suck back liquid when there is negative pressure in the radiator (the cap allows this).

If the expansion tank level is within limits then the main radiator should be full to the top, right up to the base of the radiator cap and may even overflow slightly once you release the cap and allow the water to expand under normal atmospheric pressure.
      Mike G

Comment

Originally posted by Tallyman
        The level in the expansion bottle is to make sure the overflow pipe from the main radiator stays below the level of the outlet pipe so that it can suck back liquid when there is negative pressure in the radiator (the cap allows this).

If the expansion tank level is within limits then the main radiator should be full to the top, right up to the base of the radiator cap and may even overflow slightly once you release the cap and allow the water to expand under normal atmospheric pressure.
        Thanks guys, so do I top up the rad or the bottle, at the moment the coolent level is good, there is only one tube in and out of it does it get sucked back through that?
        SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Originally posted by charvell
          Thanks guys, so do I top up the rad or the bottle, at the moment the coolent level is good, there is only one tube in and out of it does it get sucked back through that?
          The rad
          https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Working...
          X