legality of passengers in pickups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• legality of passengers in pickups?

Does anyone know why it's illegal to take people in the back of a pickup? Could you put a seat up against the bulkhead, and would it need a seatbelt?

Random question perhaps, I was just wondering...

Originally posted by johnnyrod
    Does anyone know why it's illegal to take people in the back of a pickup? ...
    Err... Is it?
    Peter

I am not a number. I am a FREE MAN!

Comment

Safety at a guess.

However it's not illegal in Zimbabwe; did a 4 hour journey in the back of a hilux pickup - there’s nothing quite like standing up holding onto the roll bar at 70mph!

The sun burn was a different matter however...
      [IMG]http://www.slate8.com/hiluxstuff/hilux-sig.gif[/IMG]

Comment

My mate got done for having us in the back of his transit van sitting on the wheelarches.

As I understand it he was done because passengers must be in a 'properly designed and constructed' seat fitted with restraints. It is my understanding that a couple of old bus seats with lap belts gets round that.

In addition he was also threatened with being done for driving without insurance because the vehicle is type tested as a 3 seater. In theorey I think you have to declare extra seats as a mod, and the insurer could ask for an engineers report that they are properly fitted.

Comment

Must agree with Dave, we got stopped in the back of my mates pick-up, we had to get out and continue on foot, the traffic officer was fine and did not nick him but said he was committing a number of violations of the road traffic act!

Think its best to ask the AA or someone like that as am sure they could point you in the right direction.
          [U]SORRY OFFICER...I HAVE BEEN IN ALL EVENING...[/U]

Comment

It easy, amount of people must the same as or less than the number of secure seats.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

And to think I used to travel on the back of a flatbed truck on the way home from the pub. Good job we didn't have Health and Safety back then or we'd all be dead by now.

I think.

Er ?

Comment

Working...
              X