Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paranoid over oil pressure

Hi all
    I have noticed that sometimes my oil pressure is OK at cold and hot and then other times it is registering really low at cold and hot. What is the most likely reason for this could it be a faulty sender switch in which case whereabouts is it. or something more serious. if so can anything be done before too much damage is caused?
    Trust your Hound.

I'd try a new sender first, then maybe a stand alone pressure guage as a truer test.

Apart from the cam bearings, and the oil pump (which is still lots of effort to get to) checking everything else is a engine tear down.

Consistant pressure is probably more important then actual pressure as long as its registering on the guage.

I assume your talking about idleing pressures, as it goes up and down at different engine revs.

The sender is in the oil cooler housing, behind the oil filter.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by Taliesins
      Hi all
      I have noticed that sometimes my oil pressure is OK at cold and hot and then other times it is registering really low at cold and hot.
      What revs?

Comment

Originally posted by laser_jock@work
        What revs?
        All revs. usually mornings going to work pressure is quite good even when warmed up throughout the rev range
        Then coming home in the evening it starts off OK then seems to drop fairly low. again throughout the range for a few miles. then comes back to normal
        Trust your Hound.

Comment

Re

I wouldn't really worry too much mate.

There is a whole thread devoted to oil pressure some where.

My baby registers 1/4 at 2000 rpm and barely moves at idle but I know there is nothing wrong.

It just seems to be the way for some reason!

(Especially on the 2nd Gen 2.4's)

Check the oil and keep it topped up if need be.

It seems as if everyones guage registers different pressure, personally I think it's the guages or senders and has nothing to do with actual oil pressure.

Later!

Gary

Comment

I would have thought that it was a dodgy sender unit or the actual dial on the dash. If both of those are ok, then I would presume if anything was wrong with your pump, it would be doing it all the time and not just over a short period.

See this thread for how mine is.

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...t=oil+pressure

Comment

Re

The pictures in your thread are EXACTLY the same positions as mine under the same conditions!

As I said, don't worry!

Later!

Gary

Comment

Working...
              X