Rumble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rumble

For a while now I've had a rumble from under the Surf. I thought it might be the prop-shaft as it only happens under acceleration. Checked it thoroughly and it seems fine. It's now getting worse quite rapidly and the speed it starts at is getting lower. Panic stations! Any ideas out there or is it the garage on Monday.
    Thanks in advance.

Andy

Originally posted by Andy1
    For a while now I've had a rumble from under the Surf. I thought it might be the prop-shaft as it only happens under acceleration. Checked it thoroughly and it seems fine. It's now getting worse quite rapidly and the speed it starts at is getting lower. Panic stations! Any ideas out there or is it the garage on Monday.
    Thanks in advance.

Andy
    Wheel bearing? try heaving the steering about a bit and sii if it goes quirt when the weight is on one side.
    I used to have a surf me!

Comment

Originally posted by phoebelala
      Wheel bearing? try heaving the steering about a bit and sii if it goes quirt when the weight is on one side.

OOPS! gotta stop typing in the dark!
      I used to have a surf me!

Comment

Have you actually removed the prop to check the UJ's are free and not seized or just checked for play in situ ?
        Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

I checked in situ with one wheel off the ground. Tried it in various positions for slack and tight spots. These UJs don't look replaceable. It looks like a new shaft. That can't be right; can it?
          Steering makes no difference to it. I think the problem is towards the back end.
          Last edited by Andy1; 4 June 2006, 00:12. Reason: Missed a bit

Comment

U j 's are replaceable try here...http://www.toyotahilux.com/index.php...id=148&vid=192... for parts
            www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

"U j 's are replaceable try here...http://www.toyotahilux.com/index.php...&cid=148&vid=1 92... for parts"

I see now. Internal circlips. Hadn't thought of that.

I'll try bearings in the morning. Thanks.

Andy
              Last edited by Andy1; 4 June 2006, 00:48.

Comment

One of the bearings seems to be suspect so I suppose that's as good a place to start as any. Do I also need to buy an oil seal and, when doing the job, do I need to drain the diff? How easily does the half shaft come out?

Thanks for all the help.

Andy

Comment

You dont need to touch the diff for the rear one... prop flange to diff flange 4 bolts. Rear half of prop slides out nice and easy. mark everything so you put it all back the same. pop circlips off and either press them out or do the big hammer thing. fit new UJ grease splines and put back together. Have a beer.
                  Really is a quick simple job.......even I can handle it.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveD
                    You dont need to touch the diff for the rear one... prop flange to diff flange 4 bolts. Rear half of prop slides out nice and easy. mark everything so you put it all back the same. pop circlips off and either press them out or do the big hammer thing. fit new UJ grease splines and put back together. Have a beer.
                    Really is a quick simple job.......even I can handle it.
                    i take the wheel off, the disconnect brake hose and cable, 4 bolts on brake backplate, pull out halfshaft and it's as easy as that!

may aswell do seals while you're there, it's hard to get the bearing out... either cut it off or use a puller.

edit, although 2nd gen may well be different!!
                    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
                      i take the wheel off, the disconnect brake hose and cable, 4 bolts on brake backplate, pull out halfshaft and it's as easy as that!

may aswell do seals while you're there, it's hard to get the bearing out... either cut it off or use a puller.

edit, although 2nd gen may well be different!!
                      na you are spot on .......I'm wrong again.......was yakking about UJ....

Comment

Working...
                      X