yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for Mor or any biodiesel expert !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for Mor or any biodiesel expert !

Hi guys...Just popped back in to ask a question about runing biodiesel in DI engines.

The wealth of knowledge in this forum surpasses most I have seen and therefore would be grateful for your input even though i now own a VW transporter 2.5l TDi....I hope I'm not being too cheeky asking.

Basically I want to continue using biodiesel blend 80/20 in my TDi but am hearing stories that it will kill my fuel injection pump or worse...this came from fuel injection services in burscough who claim that the fuel is not refined enough for TDI's.

I ran her for 4 or 5 tanks on the stuff and did a fuel filter change. Dropping the contents of the filter into a recepticle revealed a load of emulsified fatty gunk in the filter. vPrior to that I was getting a missfire at 70 mph. this dissapeared when I changed the filter but I also changed the alty belt and I know for a fact that the batt was not fully charging as I got stranded a couple of times....had batt checked and it was ok - turns out it was a sheared pulley...both of these could have lead to the missfire eh ?

So I guess my question is - can I run her on blended bio or is it best to go back to bloomin dino ?

I think the IP is Bosch...should be its german.....

Many many thanks in advance of any learned info - I have searched forums world wide and cant get any info...looks like I am flying in unchartered territory....dont want to kill her either...

Many thanks.

Ron.
    Nili secundum desperandum

Originally posted by FlySurfer - Edy.
    Hi guys...Just popped back in to ask a question about runing biodiesel in DI engines.

The wealth of knowledge in this forum surpasses most I have seen and therefore would be grateful for your input even though i now own a VW transporter 2.5l TDi....I hope I'm not being too cheeky asking.

Basically I want to continue using biodiesel blend 80/20 in my TDi but am hearing stories that it will kill my fuel injection pump or worse...this came from fuel injection services in burscough who claim that the fuel is not refined enough for TDI's.

I ran her for 4 or 5 tanks on the stuff and did a fuel filter change. Dropping the contents of the filter into a recepticle revealed a load of emulsified fatty gunk in the filter. vPrior to that I was getting a missfire at 70 mph. this dissapeared when I changed the filter but I also changed the alty belt and I know for a fact that the batt was not fully charging as I got stranded a couple of times....had batt checked and it was ok - turns out it was a sheared pulley...both of these could have lead to the missfire eh ?

So I guess my question is - can I run her on blended bio or is it best to go back to bloomin dino ?

I think the IP is Bosch...should be its german.....

Many many thanks in advance of any learned info - I have searched forums world wide and cant get any info...looks like I am flying in unchartered territory....dont want to kill her either...

Many thanks.

Ron.
    If there is a heap of emulsified gunk in the filter I would be worried about the quality of the bio - good quality bio should have the fats removed.

Trev
    Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

I read on one of the biodiesel sites that it is the fuel pump that generally determines whether you can safely run bio or not - Bosch and (a Japanese make that I can't recall offhand) being OK, and Lucas definitely not OK.

I can't recall which site this was, but I'm sure Vince will soon post a link to it!
      Peter

I am not a number. I am a FREE MAN!

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainBeaky
        I read on one of the biodiesel sites that it is the fuel pump that generally determines whether you can safely run bio or not - Bosch and (a Japanese make that I can't recall offhand) being OK, and Lucas definitely not OK.

I can't recall which site this was, but I'm sure Vince will soon post a link to it!
        I've seen the same, it also helps to be running higher amounts of dino come the coldest bits of winter

Trev
        Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Any modern diesel indirect or otherwise should be able to run on 100% RME biodiesel as long as its a few degrees above zero.

If you're finding any detris in your filter it will generally have one of two sources. 1) The biodiesel has a greater solvent action the the regular diesel previously used and is lifting dirt and crud from your fuel tank and lines, this will eventually cease, but will require regular filter checks/changes untill it does. 2) the fuel is not RME biodiesel but another form of "bio fuel" and is leaving fatty deposits in your filter.

RME is "Rape Methyl Ester"
          Any biodiesel correctly made useing a transesterification process should contain no free fatty deposits. This is normally manufactured using new rapeseed oil and methanol as the primary ingredients, altough it is possible to use ethanol and/or other oils.

Other biodiesels sold by various companies include "secret blends" or proprietry processes, these may not be transesterified fuels and can cause dificulties.

Have a search on http://biodiesel.infopop.cc for plenty of good reading.
          Maurice
          Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

VW Van

Not sure if this helps but you could try the just kampers forum www.justkampers.com They tend to deal with all vw models from split screens to the later models like yours. Best of luck.
            Tequilla - breakfast of heros.

Comment

Thanks very much guys.

As mor and beacky know I'm no stranger to running veggie blends but that was on my 2nd gen Hilux and not the Tdi....

It looks like I have found the answer to my question via Mor. Thanks .

Apparently by the precence of fatty detritis in my filter, the biodiesel I am using is chip shop fat with solvents as opposed to transesterified proper bo stuff. The petrol station selling this stuff is on edge lane liverpool and is a SAVE station. they dont release technical details of the manufacturing process as they dont have them but vouch that other dirviers dont comlain.

I mentioned them to fuel injection services who responded - oh yes , we know them we've had a few jobs as a result of that ****.....So I need a new source,...

Thanks again forum...

as a last Q - reality check me - I Am a fool if I use that stuff again - Correct ?

Ron.

Comment

Originally posted by FlySurfer - Edy.

as a last Q - reality check me - I Am a fool if I use that stuff again - Correct ?

Ron.
                Er - yes. IMO

Regards
                Peter

I am not a number. I am a FREE MAN!

Comment

Hiya Peter !

Cheers for the reality check....dont worry - Never again will I grace their forecourt...

All this has lead me to find another reputable so far company that sells transesterified dewatered proper stuff made from either spent or new sun or rapeseed oil...80ppl

http://www.biodiesel-liverpool.co.uk/1.html

I'll be there with a new fuel filter !

thanks again...

Ron.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainBeaky

Nippon-Denso.

Also, some of the newer Bosch pumps are very like the Lucas design,
                    so their suitability for SVO is not yet fully tested.

The vegburner site has a partial database of vehicles, and also a very
                    good diagram of a good dual tank setup:

http://vegburner.co.uk/heat.htm
                    Last edited by MattF; 2 June 2006, 19:01.

Comment

Working...
                    X