Help with winding up torsion bars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with winding up torsion bars

Hi all can anyone help I have tried to adjust the torsion bars on my surf. The bolts turn OK and the nut doesnt (which is correct I think) but the front just doesnt seem to be lifting. How far do you have to wind the bolts to achieve lift?
    I am jacking the front up ie wheels off the ground when tightening the bolts which I believe is the way to do it.
    Trust your Hound.

Yeah, its tighten to lift. 5-10 turns roughly per 1/4" but its always different on different trucks, depends how much spring the T/bars have left in them.

Check your upper wishbones aren't on the little bump stops, this will stop it going any higher. I normally cut the bump stops in half to get a little clearance, otherwise it bangs on them over bumps.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
      Yeah, its tighten to lift. 5-10 turns roughly per 1/4" but its always different on different trucks, depends how much spring the T/bars have left in them.

Check your upper wishbones aren't on the little bump stops, this will stop it going any higher. I normally cut the bump stops in half to get a little clearance, otherwise it bangs on them over bumps.
      Many thanks the bump stops are clear and I dont think there was much torsion on them to begin with as the bolts were very slack both sides with a very hard ride (hitting the bottom stops) Ill have another go tonight. I presume I cant break them if I tighten too far?
      Trust your Hound.

Comment

Working...
      X