Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did I pay too little?

Hi all,
    I've seen lots of threads on prices of surf, mines a 1989, 2.4 td manual, no service history, with worn out tyres and needs air-con regas, new rear window motor, and neaw rear springs.
    Cost me £1400.00. was this cheap, and if so could there be a good reason??
    Rob

Still working for the man!

check the head dude..otherwise all other things should not cost to much to sort out
    3.0 TD SSR-X LTD 1994 Black, sold and passed MOT

Comment

Originally posted by plumb bob
      Hi all,
      I've seen lots of threads on prices of surf, mines a 1989, 2.4 td manual, no service history, with worn out tyres and needs air-con regas, new rear window motor, and neaw rear springs.

Prices vary greatly. Wouldn't worry too much if I were you. Just enjoy
      driving it and worry about any faults if or when they arise. Just do a good
      old service on it to start with, filters/oils/rad cap/thermostat etc., and at least
      then you have covered the basic cause of many problems. After that, just
      sit back and enjoy.

Also, there's a good chance you only need the regulator section for the
      rear window motor, (the gear section). They tend to seize, causing
      most of the problem. It's also cheaper than replacing the complete unit.

Matt
      Last edited by MattF; 26 May 2006, 02:06.

Comment

Hi, checked the regulator and regreased, the gear wheel on the motor has a v groove worn in it, so it slips but it does work ok.
        Dont know if the head has been done yet, it looks as old as the engine, is there any way to tell??
        Rob

Comment

Dont know if the head has been done yet, it looks as old as the engine, is there any way to tell??
          Stevo's heads will have a little blue heat tell-tale sticker on the head behind the stat' housing, otherwise its hard to tell.
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Never heard anyone wonder if they paid too little for something.... !!
            Had enough... going to live in Spain....

Comment

if you take the gear with the v groove out, you can weld it back to normal.

just build some weld up and file back down to where it should be.

i done this with mine about a year ago and it hasnt missed a beat so far.

cheers scotty

Comment

Hi all,
                That price is about right for a late 80`s model. The 2.4 surfs are becoming cheaper as there is a swing in popularity towards the 3 litre model. There are hundreds of 3 litres surfs coming into the country which means lots of previous uk owned 2.4s floating about cheap as people upgrade.
                Tyres are not an issue. I had new tyres on mine when purchased but ended up tossing them anyway after the first time off-road as I wanted bigger knobbly tyres. A set of four Colway AT in 265/70/15 were only about £160.00.
                cheers,
                chris
                Powered by Toyota!

Comment

Originally posted by scotty
                  if you take the gear with the v groove out, you can weld it back to normal.

just build some weld up and file back down to where it should be.

i done this with mine about a year ago and it hasnt missed a beat so far.

cheers scotty

I would swap it for the rear passenger side door one. they are identical but the rear door window is a smaller window so less load and less ofen used.

if you use the search there is a recent how to thread in technical electrical or maybe the 2.4 and 2.8 section

Comment

Another trick, if the sprocket is grooved in the middle, is to take out the motor and put it back with a couple of packing washers between the motor body and the mount. The good bits of teeth will then mesh with the teeth on the regulator.
                    While the motor is out grease all the moving bits and work the window up and down a few times.
                    It's only a hobby!

Comment

Yeah tried that but ist still pretty $$$$, goes up and down a bit jumpy, and needs pushing the last bit by hand.
                      The welding thing sounds good considering the cost of a new motor, and the rareity of second hand ones.
                      Rob

Comment

Yeah tried that but ist still pretty $$$$, goes up and down a bit jumpy, and needs pushing the last bit by hand.
                        The welding thing sounds good considering the cost of a new motor, and the rareity of second hand ones.
                        Have you cleaned the groove in the rubber window seal? That
                        tends to cause the window to drag if it's not been cleaned. Some
                        also apply silicone grease to the groove to aid movement.

Comment

I'll try that over the weekend.
                          Will the cog need to be welded or brazed?
                          Will chemical metal be strong enough?
                          Anybody got a knackered motor with good cog they don't need? and if so are the cogs replaceable?
                          Rob

Comment

Rear window (still, )

Well took the advice from medievil dave and swapped the rear passenger door motor to the tailgate, works like a dream.
                            Now just purchased a couple of motors from E-bay (one replacement and one spare)
                            So when they arrive I'll fit them.
                            Sorted, thanks guys!
                            Rob

Comment

Do you mind me asking who the seller was and how much you paid.

I bought a replacement about 6 weeks ago. at first nothing arrived, then after a bit of chasing he sent a DRIVERS SIDE motor, which is as much use as a chocolate firegard, now I cannot get hold of the seller.

He has de-listed but I think he is selling under another name. the paypal address is japcarpartman@hotmail.com

Comment

Working...
                              X