Any civil engineers out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any civil engineers out there?

I need help with the workpit I'm building into the floor of my new garage (for a land cruiser restoration project). Being the DIY man that I am I am doing as much as possible myself but when it comes to reinforcing a wall with 5 feet of muck and water the far side of it I need advice.

The pit will be about 12 foot long and 3 and a half foot wide (1 metre). The walls will be approximately 6 to 7 inches thick and I've got sheets of A393 mesh to go into them.

Thing is, is one sheet of mesh sufficient or do I need to fix 2 sheets into each wall probably 2 inches apart??

not an engineer but have worked with concrete and mesh.....
    best results, make a framework for the walls, a few inches apart, i.e one framework as opposed to 2 seperate sheets.... e.g make a mesh box,
    ... dont forget to leave your re-bar protruding slightly at the top to cast it into your floor when you lay it.... tie in your wall steel to your floor steel..
    please seek proffesional advice for confirmation....

hope this helps

carl.....
    gettin coooooler... and dark....

Comment

One set of rebar's plenty, I don't think two would help any. Might be a good idea to brace the walls against each other somehow too.

Same disclaimer, not an engineer, but have worked as one. Long story....

Comment

Take advice with regard to tanking out the walls - from the outside to keep the water out. Waterproofing on the inside is generally less effective. It may sound like hassle now but could prevent no end of grief in the future. The floor of the pit needs considering too. Also consider putting in a small sump to allow any unwanted fluids to be pumped out.
        With regard to the rebar, A393 is fairly heavy duty. One layer ought to suffice but as above - I am nothing like an engineer - just my view.
        If you're gonna have one ...... have a good'un!

Comment

Not an engineeer but i did it several years ago and one sheet of mesh worked
          fine however i did'nt put a membrain in and it took several years to finally waterproof it, That is untill Sept last year when decided to break into the side to build some step's to save me wriggling in and out at the end, I've now got a sump pump in there permantly as every time it rains it pi$$es in! Cant
          do much about it till summer comes (if it comes) and the ground dries out,
          So whatever you do water proof it in the build and save your self a lot of
          aggrivation
          Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Working...
          X