Timing Belt & Fuel Economy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing Belt & Fuel Economy

I am wondering whether the Timing Belt may affect Fuel Economy?

I havn't changed the Timing Belt since I bought my Surf a year ago, so don't know when or if it has ever been done.

Could this affect Fuel Economy by holding to long in low gears? It seems to take as age to change between 2nd & 3rd.

I have noticed a drop in fuel economy over the last couple of weeks, and am wondering whether this could be a factor.

I've upped the ratio of Diesel & Vege Oil which shouldn't really reduce fuel economy, and I've started using Filtered Waste Vegetable OIl, but again, I don't think this would cause a big drop of fuel economy.

Any thoughts?
    Just Vegging Out

there will be a slight drop in efficiency using veg
    Landcruiser Colorado
    Sub. Forester

Comment

Originally posted by andycook
      there will be a slight drop in efficiency using veg
      I've been using Vege for about 8 months now, and it is only now that the fuel economy is dropping which is why I'm thinking it could be something else.
      Just Vegging Out

Comment

Your injectors could be clogging up. Try a bottle of Redex in your tank.

Comment

Possibly filters?

Matt

Comment

yhe timing belt wouldn't affest economy unless it had slipped a tooth and put the timing out...

it wouldn't idle smoothly and would have spluttery accelleration.

first step would be an oil and filter change, try disconnecting the battery to reset the ECU so it can set the timing better for veg oil use.
            nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

can you not just pull the ecu fuse...? instead of disconnecting the battery?

Comment

Originally posted by AndyLala
                can you not just pull the ecu fuse...? instead of disconnecting the battery?
                yeah... that too!!

i'd disconnect the battery and turn the ignition on to discahrge any capacitors etc in it...

Comment

I didn't think the flux capacitors were plumbed into the ignition, I just thought they were part of the theoretical circuits...?

Comment

Originally posted by AndyLala
                    I didn't think the flux capacitors were plumbed into the ignition, I just thought they were part of the theoretical circuits...?
                    as long as you don't disconnect the dilithium crystals in the warp core then the radio should keep it's memory!!

Comment

absolutely...

because the dilithium crystals provide the link between the physical and theoretical circuits... of course using the Deuterium control conduit with the correct phase adjustment.

see section 5.2.3 of the technical manual.

Comment

If you pull the fuse, you would still have impulse power, until the flux capacitor has re-charged.

Comment

correct.

Comment

if you pull the ecu fuse without shutiing it down, wont you loose containment?
                            it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt
                              if you pull the ecu fuse without shutiing it down, wont you loose containment?

dude... we're talking real life here!... not frickin GHOSTBUSTERS!!

hehehe!!

Comment

Working...
                              X