How deep is to deep ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How deep is to deep ?

Hi all was out yesterday playing in some of the fords in and around the new forest is my bog standard surf. Thats standard 15" wheels with standard fit tyres and no body lift etc. I came across this ford which according to the post was 2 foot deep but looked a bit deeper than that due to flood water. Do you think I was wise not to drive through or did I just bottle it. Anyway will go back when not so deep too have another go..... cheers John
    Attached Files

You can ease you way in gently if the bottom is sound, the air intake is round the back of the head light, so avoid to much throttle when water is over the front bumper as you'll suck in the wet stuff.

If you undo the elbow right before the air filter box and twist it backwards, it give you lots more wading room before the intake is under water.

As for bottling it, it up to you, its your truck, read Jotto and NeilT's threads, and deside then if its worth it. Jon I know will do it again, Neil might not. There is more to enjoying offroading than just trying to turn your Surf into a submarine!

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by John McC
      Hi all was out yesterday playing in some of the fords in and around the new forest is my bog standard surf. Thats standard 15" wheels with standard fit tyres and no body lift etc. I came across this ford which according to the post was 2 foot deep but looked a bit deeper than that due to flood water. Do you think I was wise not to drive through or did I just bottle it. Anyway will go back when not so deep too have another go..... cheers John
      You would probably have got through it ok, but please remember that your air intake is just behind the passenger headlight.
      You were wise not to attempt it if you were on your own and not sure
      I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

Originally posted by jotto
        You would probably have got through it ok, but please remember that your air intake is just behind the passenger headlight.
        You were wise not to attempt it if you were on your own and not sure
        Well it was at this same ford a friend of mine in his petrol Jeep last summer got stuck halfway and cost him a small fortune to repair it. I think the water was lower then as well ! so I'm kinda glad I reversed up I suppose. I had thought about the air intake and was thinking about doing away with the original filter and fitting one in the space behind it. As this would give me a bit more height and all round more protection from the out side world.

Comment

i know a fella who went though 6" of water with a snorkle and broke the motor....

but you shouldn't realy roll snorkle side first in water!
          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

I wouldn't recomend this

Comment

Originally posted by laser_jock99
              I wouldn't recomend this
              keep the bow wave INFRONT of the bonnet!
              nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

I wouldn't recomend this
                Now I know I would have reversed up from this one with out even thinking about it

Comment

danno or jotto would do it and 2 feet so would i
                  Enjoying Life after Cancer
                  Pops

Comment

snap...

you got the location of that ford....?

Comment

Originally posted by AndyLala
                      snap...

you got the location of that ford....?

The ford in my picture is at west wellow not far from southampton not sure about the other one !

Comment

I wouldn't recomend this
                        Where was this taken? Any more pics? I would have given it a go but i have a tendancy of breaking mine alot
                        Kite Surf

Comment

It's in the Wetroads website, where it also casts doubt on the 2ft - "The depth gauge indicated the standard Hampshire foot of water, but there was only about 8in and my Audi road car was not threatened."

Trev
                          Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Originally posted by John McC
                            The ford in my picture is at west wellow not far from southampton not sure about the other one !
                            Thanks...

next time I am in the office, I will investigate on the way home.

Comment

Originally posted by surfstar
                              Where was this taken? Any more pics? I would have given it a go but i have a tendancy of breaking mine alot
                              As far as know it's an American photo of a 4Runner 'in action'- Stupidsville, Alabama I think?

Comment

Working...
                              X