Shinnanigans on the A34 this afternoon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shinnanigans on the A34 this afternoon

Firstly, my thoughts go out to the family of the person that died on the A34 this afternoon, and to all those involved in those four rather large pileups that happended along the A34's length from the M4 to the M40...

As a result, I broke my duck!

Having managed to get off the A34 after being stuck between chievely and chilton... I went vaguely North West until I stumbled on the Ridgeway, checked the date... and it was open.... So I thought as I was late anyway... I might as well be moving rather than sat in traffic... did about 8 miles or so... a good hour at a nice restrained pace... (just in case there were ramblers...) stopped to speak to one chap who was out for a stroll, caught up with the local gossip and offered him a lift as he was looking a little puffed out... and after he declined, went slowly on my way... got a little muddy.... and made it home via farringdon and kingston bagpuss.

To top out what had become a rather nasty day, stressful meetings in the morning/afternoon, followed by poaching in the surf, it turned out rather nice... I even got a wave on the ridgeway from some kids (waved back, of course, big grin...), I also got a wave from another surf... shock horror... had to pull over and have a cold drink... four hours to do 60 miles...

[QUOTE=AndyLala]....and made it home via farringdon and kingston bagpuss.
    [QUOTE]

That's gotta be a made up name?

Comment

nope not made up, just spelt wrong...

Kingston Bagpuize... I prefer my spelling...

apparently there is a posh house there too.

http://www.kingstonbagpuizehouse.org.uk/

Comment

we used to call it bagston kingpiuze... helped to while away a journey...
        it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Glad you got home in one piece and not to muddy I hope
          I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

as I said, I took it nice and easy... didn't even knock my fog light off... a few nice dirty puddles, just enough to get that shiny new bumper a bit grubby... some fantastic views from the bit that I did... I must go back and investigate how much is actually open for access...

According to this, not very much... all in all its about 87 miles long, but only 12 miles is open to vehicular access...

http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/Ridge...3&ArticleId=32

Which is just the byway sections... time to buy some maps and work out which bits they are...

Comment

i was stuck on the A34 for 5 hours!... i had a nice JCB 3CX i could have off roaded, but the Scania and low loader would have been tricky!
              nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

For those that might be interested.
                Response from National Trails...

Dear Andy

Thank you for your email.

From 2nd May 2006 a new category of right of way called "restricted byway" came into force replacing rights of way previously known as "road used as a public path". Restricted byways can be used by walkers, cyclists, horse riders and drivers of horse-drawn carriages, but not by recreational vehicles such as motorcycles and 4 by 4s. This change has considerably reduced the amount of The Ridgeway that can legally be used by recreational vehicles.

As a result, recreational vehicles can now legally only use the following sections of The Ridgeway (however, it should be noted that some farmers legally use other sections to access their land with agricultural vehicles):

West of the River Thames

* 6 miles from the start of the Trail at Overton Hill to just west of Barbury Castle
                * 4½ miles from just west of Ogbourne St George to south of Liddington Castle
                * Less than 2 miles from Fox Hill south of Hinton Parva to Bishopstone
                * 4 miles from north of Compton to Streatley

East of the River Thames

* 1 mile on the edge of Princes Risborough east from the Wycombe Road

As this new legislation has large implications for The Ridgeway we ask that users bear with us whilst our information sources, and signage on the ground, is updated. We are also awaiting guidance from the government as to how restricted byways should be legally signed. We aim to make very clear to vehicle users where they can legally drive in the next few weeks/months.

I hope this information is useful.

Natalie

National Trails Information and Administrative Officer

Comment

Working...
                X