Surfstar has a few problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surfstar has a few problems

Hi guys and girls its Chris Surfstars girl Jo. He is working away and cannot get to the internet till possibly the weekend and the surf is playing up.
    After a great weekend in Salisbury with the gang a few noises are being heard and im a little worrid as i use it on a daily basis.
    There is a now very loud vibration noise coming from the underneath when driving, possibly the drive shaft. At first the noise was slight but it has increased with since the weekend. Chris greased the nipples before he went but the problem is still there????? Also it only vibrates under load and not when you put it in neutral and roll.

The other noise is a loud screeching, like tyres when you go round a corner fast. Now im preety sure its not anything stuck in the rear drums but cant be certain.
    And finally there is a clunking noise when i brake coming from the underneath, he said he checked the exhaust brackets etc before he went and they seemed fine.

Can anyone shed some light on the matter or perhaps offer their services in exchange for a cuppa?
    Please bear in mind that i am not mechanicaly minded and all the above terminology has come from chris (who is also a mechanical novice)

Thanks
    Jo
    Kite Surf

Shame your so far away, and I'm not going to Stevenage much these days.

Vibes could still be the UJ's in the shaft, but it could be the front CV's, they got a bit of a hammering at the weekend.

Things you can do....check all the tyre pressures, and check the tyres themselves for chunks or damage. Make sure the wheel nuts are done up tight. You might have lost some balencing weights from the wheel rims.

Give the front drive shafts a tug, see if they are loose, also the rear shaft, grip each side of the universal joints and twist to spot looseness. Also check where the rear prop goes intothe rear diff from looseness.

Check the ATF Fluid, it may have lost some or have got water in it.

If you on a reasonabley straight bit of road, going quite slow, just press the 4wd button and leave it on for 10 sec or so under load and coasting and see if the noises change, this will change the load on the front shafts and bushes in the hubs.

For the clunking noise, try just pulling the handbrake, if it still does it its coming from the rear brakes, if not front brakes.

YOu can have a peek around under the front of the car and make sure nothing is loose, especially the wishbone bolts and ball joints etc.

Hope some of this made some sence!

Good luck, and call it a day if things get to wobbily, don't want any accidents.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by surfstar
      Hi guys and girls its Chris Surfstars girl Jo. He is working away and cannot get to the internet till possibly the weekend and the surf is playing up.
      After a great weekend in Salisbury with the gang a few noises are being heard and im a little worrid as i use it on a daily basis.
      There is a now very loud vibration noise coming from the underneath when driving, possibly the drive shaft. At first the noise was slight but it has increased with since the weekend. Chris greased the nipples before he went but the problem is still there????? Also it only vibrates under load and not when you put it in neutral and roll.

The other noise is a loud screeching, like tyres when you go round a corner fast. Now im preety sure its not anything stuck in the rear drums but cant be certain.
      And finally there is a clunking noise when i brake coming from the underneath, he said he checked the exhaust brackets etc before he went and they seemed fine.

Can anyone shed some light on the matter or perhaps offer their services in exchange for a cuppa?
      Please bear in mind that i am not mechanicaly minded and all the above terminology has come from chris (who is also a mechanical novice)

Thanks
      Jo
      Hi Jo, Jess here, I had summat similar this morning (propshaft noise)
      I take it yer back in Hemel ? If thats the case call me or get cris to call me on
      07970823247 & maybe I can have a look over it on Thurs evening ..

There's always a Payback.... You just can't see it Comin !!!!
      Buncefield Burner

Comment

Thanks so much for the replies!! I was really panicking but Chris is now coming back tomorrow so he can look over it and hopefully sort it out!!

Thanks Jess, your offer is much appreciated!! Chris may well be contacting you tomorrow!!!
        Kite Surf

Comment

Working...
        X