Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idle speed / glow plug illumination

Hello
    I inspected a 3.0TD series 2 today and took it on a test drive. I have the following questions that I hope can be answered:
    Question What is the idle speed for this engine?
    It appeared to be around 750rpm. When moving from neutral to drive, the engine management system would compensate for the loading effect (foot on the brake) and still maintain this. The main point of concern is that there was quite a bit of vibration felt on the steering wheel and visible on the instrument binacle. On an earlier test drive of a different vehicle, this had not been evident.
    Question Can any 3.0TD owners confirm whether this is true of their vehicle?
    Above these rpm's, the vibrations noticeably subside.
    Question On 3.0TD, is there are glow plug indicator? If so what does it look like (a coil symbol?) and where is it located?
    Question Does it come on for a set period of time for each startup, or is it variable depending on engine temperature?

Thank you in advance.
    Mark..

Originally posted by papacroft
    Hello
    I inspected a 3.0TD series 2 today and took it on a test drive. I have the following questions that I hope can be answered:
    <b>Question</b> What is the idle speed for this engine?
    It appeared to be around 750rpm. When moving from neutral to drive, the engine management system would compensate for the loading effect (foot on the brake) and still maintain this. The main point of concern is that there was quite a bit of vibration felt on the steering wheel and visible on the instrument binacle. On an earlier test drive of a different vehicle, this had not been evident.
    <b>Question</b> Can any 3.0TD owners confirm whether this is true of their vehicle?
    Above these rpm's, the vibrations noticeably subside.
    <b>Question</b> On 3.0TD, is there are glow plug indicator? If so what does it look like (a coil symbol?) and where is it located?
    <b>Question</b> Does it come on for a set period of time for each startup, or is it variable depending on engine temperature?

Thank you in advance.
    Mark..
    I have since found both pieces of information I required on the spec
    Idle speed - Is 650 - 750rpm
    Glow plug dashboard illumination - Variable time dependent on coolant temperature. I suspect I did not see the symbol on the dash as the engine was up to temperature.

Outstanding point still needs answering - Do others have visible vibration on steering wheel and dashboard?
    Last edited by papacroft; 29 December 2003, 17:49.

Comment

Outstanding point still needs answering - Do others have visible vibration on steering wheel and dashboard?
      no they dont, its probably the wheels need balancing, if not it could be a bit more serious
      [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
      [size=5][/size]
      [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

Originally posted by gemini
        no they dont, its probably the wheels need balancing, if not it could be a bit more serious
        The vibration is when the vehicle is stationary and the engine is on tick over (750rpm). Whilst driving there was no vibration in the steering.

Comment

The vibration is when the vehicle is stationary and the engine is on tick over (750rpm). Whilst driving there was no vibration in the steering.

mines the same papa, stationery in drive with the foot on the brake, a bit of vibration that goes when moving or in park, i,m not worrying about it, 6mths warranty left
          ship

Comment

papacroft,
            As you are local pop down to see my 2.4 & i'll give you a few pointers iff you like. i know its a 2.4 but the rest is the same
            (\__/)
            (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
            (")_(")

Comment

Working...
            X