Is it my Starter Motor???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it my Starter Motor???

Morning! Pretty new & pretty useless....i have a 3.0 td, M reg surf... when i try & start it (especially after its been standing for a while) i just get a click when turning it on. This happens a few times & is followed by a slight turn over of the engine (very feeble) & then eventually it will start. I am thinking its the starter motor - would i be right?? Not used this site so how do i get the replies - i'm ambertiggy@aol.com if someone is kind enough to reply!!
    Please help a damsel in distress!!!!!

Originally posted by tiggy
    Morning! Pretty new & pretty useless....i have a 3.0 td, M reg surf... when i try & start it (especially after its been standing for a while) i just get a click when turning it on. This happens a few times & is followed by a slight turn over of the engine (very feeble) & then eventually it will start. I am thinking its the starter motor - would i be right?? Not used this site so how do i get the replies - i'm ambertiggy@aol.com if someone is kind enough to reply!!
    Hi and welcome

If it is struggling to turn over I would suspect the battery or batteries.

If you have 2 then you will need to replace both, please be aware that they are not the same, you will need both a left and right handed battery - a search on here will reveal which ones you need.

Trev
    Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Have you tried making sure that the battery connections are all secure ie the positive and negative terminals, also is the battery fully charged or maybe its not holding its charge etc and needs replacing as the symptoms you describe are looking like that maybe the case, would try those first and then look at the starter motor, I am no expert but hope this helps..good luck.
      [U]SORRY OFFICER...I HAVE BEEN IN ALL EVENING...[/U]

Comment

Yeah sounds to me like batteries.

When you turn the key and just get a click, but no turn over, its usually the starter motor engagin, but not having enough umpff to turn the engine. This would also explain why its worse when its been stood for a while. If it was the starter motor, it wouldn't make much of a difference how long its been stood.

Only my humble opinon, but it's easier to try changing the batteries first, rather than swappin the starter motor.

Let us know when you've got it sorted, and what the outcome was.

Mart
        Just trying to raise my postcount!

Comment

i have just had the same problem and it was the starter motor!! you can buy a repair kit from roughtrax for about £45 problem solved!

cheers

Comment

Try getting a jump start from another big diesel or call out the AA/RAC or similar (they can confirm what has died for you), if it spins then it's a battery problem, if it still clicks then the starter would appear to be the culprit.

Trev
            Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Put your tongue across the battery terminals and see if it feels all tingly.

Don't actually do it, even if you're tongue is a foot long

Comment

I had the same problem, quickest way to tell if its the batteries or not, do the ignition warning lights go really dim when you are cranking? if so its the batts, if not its the starter motor.
                I did'nt know you could get repair kits so I bought a new one from Toyota; there are 3 types and mine was £370 !!!!@~##$

Cheers

Derek

Comment

I would suspect a battery fault, had the same thing 2 years ago and again at the weekend. If one of the battery's is duff it will drain the other so you may not need to replace them both. Go to a garage or accessory shop they should be able to test em for you to see if they are holding charge or not.

Good luck mate; Spoggle

Comment

I had a similar problem, and I agree with those who consider it to be the batteries.
                    However you might like to check that the terminal clamps are secure, as my problem turned out to be that the positive terminal clamp on the drivers side being loose allowing the clamp to be easily pulled off by hand, and due to the design it proved difficult to tighten sufficiently.
                    If you have the same problem, you will also find that there is a plastic spacer between the jaws of the terminal clamp, and once removed you will be able to make the terminal more secure. The battery clamp is a very 'light duty' piece of kit, and probably needs to be changed in most cases anyway.
                    Last edited by trevdowle; 27 April 2006, 11:55.
                    Cheers
                    Trev D.

Comment

Originally posted by mikebrfc
                      i have just had the same problem and it was the starter motor!! you can buy a repair kit from roughtrax for about £45 problem solved!

cheers
                      Can you please tell me where to get the number for Roughtrax?? I have had batteries checked & both fine so can only assume starter motor.....boo hoo!!!

Comment

http://www.toyotahilux.com/

Comment

I had the starter ticking when one of the battery terminals would not tighten properly.
                          So I cut the bit of plastic out that is in between the gap in the terminal so it would grip the battery better.

Problem solved.
                          I like Orientals

Comment

I had the sme problem roughly a year ago, turned out to be the starter, all you need is a decent auto electrician to re-furb it a bit.
                            Nihil illigitimi carborundum

Comment

Working...
                            X