How much cooler is an intercooler?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much cooler is an intercooler?

Having driven Hi-Lux's with fresh air behind the back seats for years, I thought it was about time I got one with a proper boot, but boy there are so many to choose from. Can anyone help answer my questions?
    Does an intercooler make any difference to power or mpg or does it just catch flies?
    Is it an optional extra on new cars or is it model specific? i.e. is there any way of telling whether one is fitted or not without seeing a photo?
    Can you get a manual intercooled Surf or is that a lost cause? All the ones I have seen on the web seem to be auto?

Any help most welcome.

The intercooler gives somewhere in the order of 20-25bhp .......

and the grin's about 20% wider than standard !

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Thanks Bob. Is it a case of once you've had one you never go back?

I'm needing something that will have the power to pull a trailer but hopefully not need to stop for a drink every few miles. That's why a manual would be better although they seem to be like hen's teeth.

I did get to drive an intercooler yesterday at Dicksons of Dunblane (just). Having driven 21/2 hours to see it, the salesman didn't want to take it out of the showroom and suggested I take the non-intercooler model that was standing outside. Call me old fashioned but I always thought when you took a test-drive you were supposed to drive the car you want to buy!
      A shame its previous lady owner had obviously kept it stored in a bath of salt water for the last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Wee Al
        Thanks Bob. Is it a case of once you've had one you never go back?

I'm needing something that will have the power to pull a trailer but hopefully not need to stop for a drink every few miles. That's why a manual would be better although they seem to be like hen's teeth.

I did get to drive an intercooler yesterday at Dicksons of Dunblane (just). Having driven 21/2 hours to see it, the salesman didn't want to take it out of the showroom and suggested I take the non-intercooler model that was standing outside. Call me old fashioned but I always thought when you took a test-drive you were supposed to drive the car you want to buy!
        A shame its previous lady owner had obviously kept it stored in a bath of salt water for the last year.

Nothing wrong with an auto for towing m8. In fact, i bet 90% of towers would much prefer a big diesel auto to a manual for the task. The gearbox on an auto is much better suited to taking the strain of towing than is a clutch on a manual.

As for fuel consumption. I doubt there will be much in it. As has been mentioned an intercooler offers a power hike over a non intercooler. They work by lowering the incoming charge air temp and thus the density, so enabling the turbo to stuff more air into the pots at the same boost pressure as a non intercooled engine.

In truth, either a second or third gen 3 litre will be fine and so in fact will a 2.4 if its in good order. All depends what and how often you wish to tow.

Al.
        I used to have a surf me!

Comment

the 3rd gen intercooled version has a bonnet scoop, others do not.

Al.
          I used to have a surf me!

Comment

[QUOTE=Wee Al]Thanks Bob. Is it a case of once you've had one you never go back?

QUOTE]

Can't really answer as it's my first Surf !

We use it to tow a 1300kg caravan (No I'm NOT a typical caravanner either !) the acceleration is adequate (I frequently leave people at the lights) and it has no trouble reaching illegal towing speeds briskly (accidently reached 80mph today on the M3 cos a jerk decided he didn't want to be overtaken - allegedly officer).

We've managed 200miles on a tankful towing at higher than average speeds.

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Working...
            X