yo
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

Tell you what....

'Questions:
      Have people knocked out their steering when offroading?'

Take a look in the Japanese owners gallery and see if you can spot yours!

http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/photos/japan/

Rob G

Comment

Originally posted by wibblywobbly
        'Questions:
        Have people knocked out their steering when offroading?'

Take a look in the Japanese owners gallery and see if you can spot yours!

http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/photos/japan/

Rob G
        Thanks for that. I can't see it, but when you see the type of punishment they are capable of, then it gives me confidence that my damage is only a scratch shouldn't cost the earth to fix. Although I will wait for comments from others in this forum before taking things any further.

Comment

Originally posted by papacroft
          OK, I took the vehicle out on a test drive and have further inspected it:
          Here are the points I have:
          1. All the documentation checks out, SVA, MOT. Also includes servicing book and the Japanese forms of MOT with stamps that confirm the mileage and that it may have been stood for some period of time, hence the low mileage.
          2. At tickover (standing still) there was a lot of vibration on the steering wheel and engine vibration generated noise on the dash.
          3. The vehicle pulled to the left. The damage is on the nearside front and the tyre on the offside front was at 30lb/sq inch, the one on the nearside front was at 45lb/sq inch. ie it was pulling in the opposite direction to what you would expect. Therefore the bumper damage has also misaligned the steering. Does everyone agree? I think this is also backed up by the fact that the lower wishbone appears to have some damage, not a lot but during this impact (with a wall or rock we suspect), it looks to have caught this area.
          To give some idea on the damage to the bumper it has been pushed in by approximately 1cm looking at the point where the wheel arch should line up with the end of the bumper.

Questions:
          Have people knocked out their steering when offroading?
          What would be an estimated maximum cost to put this area right assuming that the chassis or that area is not damaged?
          Is there anything else I should consider looking at?
          I was thinking of taking it to my local garage and having them pre MOT inspect it pointing out the pulling of the steering? Would a general mechanic be able to diagnose the problem or is the steering so complex that expert help is required?

One other point on the steering. The guy selling the vehicle is replacing a part on the steering that has some play in it. His mechanic believes that this part (stabilser) is the route cause of the mechanical bump stop sound. It eminates a clanking noise of full stop from the nearside front.
          Any advice on this is welcomed.
          Is there anyone in Manchester area who would be willing to inspect this vehicle for me?

Thanks
          Mark..
          look here for a photo of the bump stop http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/Forums/sho...ight=bump+stop all surfs will make a noise on full lock when the rubber is worn or missing as in photo, the stabilizer probably has nothing to do with it, what you should have done is pulled in a garage and put air in the tyres, then you could have eliminated these from the problems of pulling to one side, lower wishbones dont damage to easily, what sort of damage can you see, i cant see a small dent in the bumper affecting the steering at all
          2. At tickover (standing still) there was a lot of vibration on the steering wheel and engine vibration generated noise on the dash. this is not normal at all and should be investigated further
          yes! another surf, have a go in a good one and you'll forget all about that one

Last edited by gemini; 30 December 2003, 03:28.
          [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
          [size=5][/size]
          [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

Originally posted by gemini
            look here for a photo of the bump stop http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/Forums/sho...ight=bump+stop all surfs will make a noise on full lock when the rubber is worn or missing as in photo, the stabilizer probably has nothing to do with it, what you should have done is pulled in a garage and put air in the tyres, then you could have eliminated these from the problems of pulling to one side, lower wishbones dont damage to easily, what sort of damage can you see, i cant see a small dent in the bumper affecting the steering at all
            2. At tickover (standing still) there was a lot of vibration on the steering wheel and engine vibration generated noise on the dash. this is not normal at all and should be investigated further
            yes! another surf, have a go in a good one and you'll forget all about that one

Having considered all the advice and my gut feelings, I am going to forget this one and move on. However there is a Surf out there somewhere with my name on it!
            Thanks to all who have contributed.
            Mark..

Comment

should i

look mate youve prob got a ****** big headache allready thinking about that surf if i was you walk away forget it yheres loads about now and some real nice ones it shouldnt be viabrating so bad as to make the dash and steering shake so theres obviously a fault there engine mountings engine running roughly etc etc your gonna end up spending more time on here trying to get it sorted out and big money bin it
              black n tan
              black n tan
              yes i am a dobermann man

Comment

I totally agree your buying someone elses problem
                (\__/)
                (")_(")

Comment

I've just got this weeks Auto trader (lookin' for a caravan) and I came across this ad for a 1993 K reg 2.4 50,000 miles red big arches etc. looks ok from photo?: priced @ £2,795 tel 01254387776 I'ts in my neck of the woods I'ts got a wood dash too
                  [SIZE=3][FONT=verdana][COLOR=darkorange]The chickens are stealing my sanity[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Comment

it must be knicked or knackered at that price
                    (\__/)
                    (")_(")

Comment

I'll bring the mag with me tonight, could be a mistake on the price????
                      [SIZE=3][FONT=verdana][COLOR=darkorange]The chickens are stealing my sanity[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Comment

oky doke
                        (\__/)
                        (")_(")

Comment

Papacroft Has Pm
                          (\__/)
                          (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
                            I totally agree your buying someone elses problem
                            Thanks marky and slydog. I am of exactly the same opinion. I therefore revisited a dealer (who I had done quite a lot of research on) and have just put a deposit down on a 3.0TD SSR-XLtd. It is a 1994(L). Having recorded all the observations on the vehicle with the damaged front end yesterday, everything was fresh in my mind. Ultimately a short test drive showed in the one I have bought highlighted enough differences to make me strike a deal.
                            I will let you know how things develop and hopefully have some positive feedback on the dealer for this forum.

Comment

nice one thats another job done for the day SLYDOG
                              (\__/)
                              (")_(")

Comment

yep

another satisfied surfer 2 great marks think alike
                                black n tan
                                black n tan
                                yes i am a dobermann man

Comment

Working...
                                X